Hey you! Yes you, the one looking for a corn bread recipe! This is a easy sweet cornbread recipe that is perfect for Thanksgiving!
Sweet Potato Cornbread is a sweet combination of two of my favorite fall foods: sweet potatoes and cornbread.
Cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, pumpkin pie spice, eggs, sweet potatoes, yogurt, buttermilk, butter, dark brown sugar, honey and honey cinnamon butter!
These are the ingredients required to make the perfect Sweet Potato Cornbread. Trust me… it will be perfect, just follow the recipe.
It also uses my love of cooking in cast iron, so really, Sweet Potato Cornbread is the perfect recipe. Southern at heart, cornbreads can be served with many meals, so make sure you get creative.
While sometimes I like a spicy jalapeno cornbread, other times I’m looking for sweet, and Sweet Potato Cornbread does the trick. Perfect to complement a spicy chili or serve with a turkey at your Thanksgiving dinner.
Trust me this mouthwatering sweet cornbread will be a huge hit no matter when you serve it. But be prepared, because this is a recipe that will stick. It will be a constant every year for Thanksgiving. There is obviously a good reason for that, its delicious just give it a try.
Two mashed sweet potatoes will do the trick in a traditional cornbread batter. Sometimes I add a little pumpkin pie spice for additional fall essence and other times I serve Sweet Potato Cornbread with Cinnamon Honey Butter.
It also makes for an excellent stuffing base and can even be cut in half and used in my Chicken Enchilada Pie, the perfect way to hide veggies from kids!
This recipe also makes an excellent cornbread stuffing, cornbread dressing, cornbread croutons, cornbread salad or can be used as the base for a cornbread casserole!
If you liked this buttermilk cornbread, make sure you check out these other easy cornbread recipes:
- Instant Pot Sweet Cornbread
- Cheesy Chile Cornbread Casserole
- Copycat Jiffy Cornbread Muffin Mix
- Jalapeno Cornbread Muffins
Sweet Potato Cornbread
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice optional
- 4 eggs room temperture
- 1 cup sweet potatoes mashed, approximately 2 medium potatoes
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 tablespoons butter melted
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- Honey Cinnamon Butter
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease a large cast iron skillet (butter or vegetable oil).
- Whisk together cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and pumpkin pie spice (optional). Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or large mixing bowl, beat eggs. Add sweet potatoes, yogurt, buttermilk, dark brown sugar, butter and honey. Mix until combined. Do not over mix.
- Add dry ingredients and mix until all batter is wet. Do not over mix, this will result in tough cornbread.
- Pour batter into prepared cast iron skillet. Bake for 30-35 minutes. Test using the toothpick test. Serve with Cinnamon Honey Butter.