Do you have a food that you have previously turned your nose up at, for no specific reason, and then tried it and realized what you had been missing? That is me and cornbread. Jalapeno Cornbread Muffins has me turing my cornbread corner.
Jalapeno Cornbread Muffins are mini-muffins of sweet cornbread with spicy jalapenos. Perfect for serving with any Tex-Mex recipe and the perfect cornbread for chili!
I think my first experience involved a batch of grainy, dry bread when I was younger and then I forever associated the two. The truth is that good cornbread is delicious and now I am obsessed. I love the stuff.
Often I crave cornbread and request we go out for BBQ just so that I can order more cornbread. Now the secret is out of the bag and hubby will know the ways of my tricky cornbread tactics.
Now that I am on the cornbread bandwagon, I am making it in all sorts of varieties, like Jalapeno Cornbread Muffins! These little mini-muffin cornbreads are the perfect two-bite option to serve with soups and stews, particularly chili.
The cornbread is soft and sweet while pickling jalapeno is a little milder than a fresh jalapeno, but still have some bite. A balance of spicy and sweet.
Did you know that while cornbread is typically thought of as Southern, its roots actually date back to the Native Americans? It makes sense when you think about it, their main produce was corn.
They used a mortar and pestle to make all sorts of corn concoctions like grits, flour cornmeal and more; it was a cornerstone of their diet.
Today there are some pretty fancy cornbread recipes, but mine are all fairly basic. The only ingredient you might need to seek out is buttermilk. Or maybe I’m the only one who doesn’t have buttermilk on hand at all times?
Believe me, the “special” ingredient is worth it. People will rave over these Jalapeno Cornbread Muffins!
Here are a few dishes perfect for serving with Jalapeno Cornbread Muffins:
Jalapeno Cornbread Muffins
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter melted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup pickled jalapenos , divided
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Cooking Spray
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and lightly coat a muffin tin (or mini muffin tin) with cooking spray.
- Cream together melted unsalted butter and sugar. Add egg, buttermilk, minced jalapenos and mix well.
- Sift together flour through salt to remove any lumps. Mix until fully combined, batter will be a little lumpy. Do not over mix!
- Spoon batter into muffin tins, filling 3/4 of each tin. Place a whole jalapeno slice on the top of the batter in each muffin tin.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes for mini muffins or 15-17 minutes for large muffins, or until the tops spring back when gently touched and are a puffy, golden yellow.
- Serve warm. If made ahead of time, warm before serving. Enjoy your Jalapeno Cornbread Muffins!
- If you've tried this recipe, come back and let us know how it was!