This Chicken Enchilada Casserole Recipe is a delicious casserole recipe loaded with a cornbread crust, chicken, beans, and cheese, all made in a cast iron skillet!
This one-dish dinner is one of the best, easy Mexican recipes out there. Perfect for Cinco de Mayo or an easy weeknight meal!
If you loved this cast iron meal recipe, check out these other easy one-dish recipes:
- 13 Time Saving One Dish Meals
- One-Pot Chicken Bruschetta Pasta
- One-Dish Southwestern Chicken and Rice
- 1 cup Enchilada Sauce
- 1 rotisserie chicken , meat pulled and shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chile powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup black beans , canned and rinsed
- 3 chipotle peppers in adobe sauce , finely minced
- 1/2 cup cilantro , packed
- 1/4 cup scallions , chopped
- 1 1/2 cup cheddar chees , shredded
- 2 limes quartered
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly grease a 12-inch cast iron skillet with cooking spray or a small amount of vegetable oil.
In a medium size mixing bowl, whisk cornbread mix, melted butter, milk and egg. Do not not mix; the batter will have lumps, this is normal. Pour batter into your cast iron skillet. Bake for 15 minutes, or until the top is lightly brown.
Combine garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, dried oregano, paprika, fine sea salt and black pepper. Toss minced chipotle peppers with spice mixture, shredded chicken and black beans.
Poke many holes in the cornbread base using a fork, the more holes, the more places for delicious enchilada sauce to hide!
Pour 1 cup of enchilada sauce over cornbread base. Top with chicken mixture. Finally, top with shredded cheese.
Bake for an additional 10 minutes or until cheese melts. Remove and allow to sit for 5 minutes.
Top with fresh cilantro and scallions, serve with fresh lime wedges, spritz and enjoy your Chicken Enchilada Pie!
Have you tried this recipe? We'd love to hear what you think. Leave us a comment!