One of my favorite things to do in the winter is curl up with a steaming cup of hot cocoa and spend the evening relaxing and this is one of my favorite white hot chocolate recipes.
This white hot chocolate makes those evenings feel even more decadent with an easy, but velvety blend of milk, chocolate vanilla and toppings. Perfect for snow days, holidays or a random cold day in the winter season.
Though I’ve been in denial that summer is coming to an end, the truth is that fall is nearly here.
With fall, comes leaves changing (which I love) and pumpkin (which I also love…even pumpkin spice) but it also means that winter and cold weather (not my favorite) are just around the corner too.
I’m not a huge fan of cold weather but what I AM a huge fan of is curling up with a hot beverage and relaxing in front of the TV or reading a book under a blanket it.
My preferred hot beverage of choice? Creamy white hot chocolate! It’s rich and decadent with a subtle chocolate flavor that’s not overpowering and a whole lot cheaper than buying it at the local coffee shop.
Why You’ll Love This White Hot Chocolate
A hot drink that’s full of vanilla flavor with the perfect creamy consistency- what’s not to love!
- Great for the holiday season – This delicious drink will warm you to the core, and can certainly be dressed up with peppermint candies to ring in the holiday cheer.
- Only 3 ingredients – With milk, white chips and vanilla, you have all you need to make this favorite white chocolate recipe.
- Easy to customize – This is a very basic recipe that can be modified and dressed up to create your own hot white chocolate.
Is White Chocolate Really Chocolate?
Did you know white chocolate doesn’t actually have any chocolate in it? There are no cocoa liquors or chocolate solids in white chocolate, unlike those found in milk and dark chocolate. It is actually made from cocoa butter so it has a very different flavor profile.
Some chocolate lovers like to argue that it’s not “real” chocolate but I say it’s all a technicality and white chocolate hot chocolate is one of the best homemade hot chocolates.
For this easy recipe, all you need is white chocolate (I prefer to splurge on the “fancier” brands), milk and vanilla extract for one of the best hot drinks ever!
You only need three simple ingredients to make this easy white hot chocolate that is sure to satisfy your sweet tooth.
- Milk – Whole milk gives the richest beverage, but any fat content can be used. You can even use a dairy free milk if needed.
- White chocolate – Use a good quality chocolate which can be white chocolate chips or bar chocolate. It does best when added in smaller pieces.
- Vanilla extract – I also like to use a good quality vanilla extract. After all, it’s the main flavor of this sweet treat.
How to Make White Hot Chocolate
You are going to love how simple it is to make this easy white hot chocolate recipe.
- Heat milk. Heat the milk in a heavy bottom medium saucepan over medium heat, but no higher. It needs to be the right temperature to melt the chocolate, but not create scalded milk. Whole milk gives the richest beverage, but any fat content can be used.
- Add chocolate and vanilla. Reduce the milk to low heat and add the white chocolate and vanilla extract, stirring until completely melted. Use a good quality chocolate which can be white chocolate chips or bar chocolate. One cup equals 8 ounces. It does best when added in smaller pieces. Do not let it sit or the chocolate will sink and potentially burn.
- Remove from heat and serve. Remove from the heat and ladle into cups while hot.
- Add garnishes. Garnish with toppings of choice, peppermint whipped cream or peppermint sticks.
Slow Cooker Hot Chocolate
You’ll see a lot of recipes out there for slow cooker or crockpot hot chocolate and quite frankly, there is no benefit to actually cooking your hot chocolate in a slow cooker versus on the stove. In fact, it might take longer.
The only pro is the nearly 100% certainty that it won’t scald, but to do that you still need to stir it every so often.
However, if you are serving white hot chocolate at a party and want to keep it at the optimal temperature for a long period of time, feel free to keep it in a slow cooker on the “keep warm” setting.
In my opinion, homemade white chocolate hot chocolate is a great drink to serve around the holidays. It’s family-friendly and kids LOVE it, especially when you add in some hot chocolate stir sticks.
- Alcohol – And if you want to make it not-so-kid-friendly? Both Kahlua and Irish cream taste AMAZING with white hot chocolate!
- Change the flavor – Or you can make into a Pumpkin Spice Hot Chocolate or Almond White Hot Chocolate with just a couple of modifications.
- Regular hot chocolate – Change the chocolate to milk chocolate, dark chocolate or even a blend of chocolates.
- Dairy free milk – Swap out dairy milk for non-dairy alternatives like oat milk or almond milk.
- Hot chocolate bar – Make it into a hot chocolate bar so friends can build their own creation.
- Toppings – Top your whipped cream with white chocolate mocha sauce, regular white chocolate sauce, caramel sauce, mini marshmallows, a white chocolate bar or fudge.
Double Batches, Make Ahead & Storage
Double batch: One thing I love about this recipe is how easy it is to double, triple or even quadruple. This particular recipe makes 4 servings but can easily serve a large group of guests too.
Make ahead: It can be made ahead and simply reheated, but since it really just involves 3 ingredients, it isn’t much of a bother.
Freezer: Homemade hot chocolate can also be frozen in individual freezer bags and thawed for a quick cup.
Commonly Asked Questions
This type of recipe doesn’t lend well to cocoa powder. It won’t disintegrate and will remain grainy. Instead, use real chocolate chips, the same amount.
I wouldn’t use all of either. You can use half & half though. Cream will be super heavy and probably give you a massive tummy ache!
More Easy Drink Recipes
Homemade White Hot Chocolate Recipe
- Heat the milk in a heavy bottom saucepan over medium heat, but do not boil.
- Reduce to low heat and add the white chocolate chips and vanilla extract, stirring until completely melted.
- Remove from heat and ladle into cups while hot.
- Garnish with toppings of choice and whipped cream.
- If you've tried this recipe, come on back and let us know how it was in the comments or star ratings.