One of my favorite things to do in the winter is curl up with a steaming cup of hot cocoa and spend the evening relaxing and this is one of my favorite white hot chocolate recipes.
This white hot chocolate makes those evenings feel even more decadent with an easy, but velvety blend of milk, chocolate vanilla and toppings. Perfect for snow days, holidays or a random cold day in the winter season.
What's In This Article
About This Recipe
Though I’ve been in denial that summer is coming to an end, the truth is that fall is nearly here.
With fall, comes leaves changing (which I love) and pumpkin (which I also love…even pumpkin spice) but it also means that winter and cold weather (not my favorite) are just around the corner too.
I’m not a huge fan of cold weather but what I AM a huge fan of is curling up with a hot beverage and relaxing in front of the TV or reading a book under a blanket it.
My preferred hot beverage of choice? Creamy white hot chocolate! It’s rich and decadent with a subtle chocolate flavor that’s not overpowering and a whole lot cheaper than buying it at the local coffee shop.
Is White Chocolate Really Chocolate?
Did you know white chocolate doesn’t actually have any chocolate in it? There are no cocoa liquors or chocolate solids in white chocolate, unlike those found in milk and dark chocolate. It is actually made from cocoa butter so it has a very different flavor profile.
Some chocolate lovers like to argue that it’s not “real” chocolate but I say it’s all a technicality and white chocolate hot chocolate is one of the best homemade hot chocolates.
For this easy recipe, all you need is white chocolate (I prefer to splurge on the “fancier” brands), milk and vanilla extract for one of the best hot drinks ever!
How to Make White Hot Chocolate
- Heat the milk in a heavy bottom medium saucepan over medium heat, but no higher. It needs to be the right temperature to melt the chocolate, but not create scalded milk. Whole milk gives the richest beverage, but any fat content can be used.
- Reduce the milk to low heat and add the white chocolate and vanilla extract, stirring until completely melted. Use a good quality chocolate which can be white chocolate chips or bar chocolate. One cup equals 8 ounces. It does best when added in smaller pieces. Do not let it sit or the chocolate will sink and potentially burn.
- Remove from the heat and ladle into cups while hot.
- Garnish with toppings of choice, peppermint whipped cream or peppermint sticks.
Slow Cooker Hot Chocolate
You’ll see a lot of recipes out there for slow cooker or crockpot hot chocolate and quite frankly, there is no benefit to actually cooking your hot chocolate in a slow cooker versus on the stove. In fact, it might take longer.
The only pro is the nearly 100% certainty that it won’t scald, but to do that you still need to stir it every so often.
However, if you are serving white hot chocolate at a party and want to keep it at the optimal temperature for a long period of time, feel free to keep it in a slow cooker on the “keep warm” setting.
- In my opinion, homemade white chocolate hot chocolate is a great drink to serve around the holidays. It’s family-friendly and kids LOVE it, especially when you add in some hot chocolate stir sticks.
- And if you want to make it not-so-kid-friendly? Both Kahlua and Irish cream taste AMAZING with white hot chocolate!
- Or you can make into a Pumpkin Spice Hot Chocolate or Almond White Hot Chocolate with just a couple of modifications.
- Change the chocolate to milk chocolate, dark chocolate or even a blend of chocolates.
- Swap out dairy milk for non-dairy alternatives like oat milk or almond milk.
- Make it into a hot chocolate bar so friends can build their own creation.
- Top your whipped cream with white chocolate sauce, caramel sauce or fudge.
Commonly Asked Questions
Can I use cocoa powder? This type of recipe doesn’t lend well to cocoa powder. It won’t disintegrate and will remain grainy. Instead, use real chocolate chips, the same amount.
Can I use heavy cream or whipping cream? I wouldn’t use all of either. You can use half & half though. Cream will be super heavy and probably give you a massive tummy ache!
Double Batches, Make Ahead & Storage
One thing I love about this recipe is how easy it is to double, triple or even quadruple. This particular recipe makes 4 servings but can easily serve a large group of guests too.
It can be made ahead and simply reheated, but since it really just involves 3 ingredients, it isn’t much of a bother.
Homemade hot chocolate can also be frozen in individual freezer bags and thawed for a quick cup.
More Easy Drink Recipes
Homemade White Hot Chocolate Recipe
- 4 cups milk
- 1 cup white chocolate
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Toppings of Choice
- Hot Chocolate Stir Sticks
- Peppermint Whipped Cream
- Heat the milk in a heavy bottom saucepan over medium heat, but do not boil.
- Reduce to low heat and add the white chocolate chips and vanilla extract, stirring until completely melted.
- Remove from heat and ladle into cups while hot.
- Garnish with toppings of choice and whipped cream.
- If you've tried this recipe, come on back and let us know how it was in the comments or star ratings.
Delicious! I love live white chocolate and this recipe did not disappoint! And the peppermint whipping cream was the peppermint on top!
Best white cocoa. My kids beg for it every christmas morning. One year i didnt make it and i never hears the end of it. My husband splashes in a little kaluha in his mug to kick off the day. This cocoa is a holiday tradition! Thanks.
Yay! Love to hear that and I like your husband’s style 🙂
Wow…this looks extremely yum…perfect for the weather here in India.
What a great twist on hot chocolate. My kids would love this.
This is so perfect for the holidays! The color and the flavors just scream Christmas.
I Can’t wait to try this easy to make, delicious, and comforting White chocolate hot chocolate.
Could you do this in a crockpot?
Yes, there are instructions for a slow cooker in the post. 🙂
How would I make this in a slow cooker?
Hi Denise, heat the milk in the slow cooker and when warm, whisk in chocolate and vanilla. Make sure you wait until the milk is hot or else the chocolate will just sink to the bottom and burn. Enjoy!
I made this for a treat tonight using almond milk and some peppermint extract instead of vanilla and it was delicious!! Both me and my husband really enjoyed it! So good 🙂
Yay!!!! Thank you for coming back to let us know!
I just made this for Christmas Eve. It was a hit. My hubby who isn’t even a fan of hot chocolate even had a second cup. My daughter loved it as well. Thank you. I’m even tempted to try it with almond milk next time for those of us that are lactose intolerant.
Give it a try and let us know how it goes!
This was an absolutely delicious choice! Best one I’ve tried. Looking forward to many more drinks! Thank You for this recipe! I needed this!!!
Woohoo! That is what we like to hear. Happy holidays!
Thank you for stopping by to let us know!