Fire up your pizza oven, it’s time to make the ultimate artichoke pizza recipe! With a creamy spinach artichoke base and topped with plenty of cheese, it can’t be beat.
You will see lots of recipes claim to be the “best homemade pizzas,” so I won’t claim the same for this. But what I will do is say it is a favorite in our house and everyone I’ve ever made it for.
It starts with a basic pizza dough, and then it’s topped with a delectable spreadable cheese, spinach and artichoke mixture, sprinkled with even more cheese and artichokes on top, and then baked until delightfully deep golden brown. What’s not to love?
If you like spinach artichoke dip, just imagine it being baked in a hot oven onto a beautiful crust. Are you drooling yet because I know I am.
What's In This Article
Artichoke Pizza Ingredients
- Premade pizza dough – I’m all about making things easier around here, so a premade pizza crust works just fine here. If you have a homemade pizza dough recipe that you prefer, feel free to use that instead.
- Fresh spinach – This is really like a spinach artichoke pizza if you think about it. The cheesy combination of baby spinach and artichoke is unmatched.
- Olive oil – I like to use a good quality olive oil for this recipe.
- Artichoke hearts – Rather than fresh artichokes, I like to use the jarred, marinated version. Make sure these drained and chopped. You want them to be small enough to be bite sized.
- Cheese – I use two types of cheese in this recipe: fresh mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese. I always prefer to shred my own as it tends to melt better that way. You could even add in some pecorino romano cheese if you’d like.
- Cream cheese – Rather than a traditional white sauce, we use something very similar to spinach artichoke dip as the base. It’s creamier and heartier than traditional pizza sauce. Make sure it is room temperature to help spreading.
- Mayonnaise – This helps to add a little tang and creaminess to our cream sauce.
- Garlic powder – If you really want to punch up the garlic flavor in your artichoke pizza, use a whole garlic clove minced. If not, garlic powder works just fine.
- Onion powder – This pizza already has so much flavor, onion powder is really the only other spice needed to bring everything together.
- Salt and black pepper – I am a salt fanatic, and I like using fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper for this easy pizza recipe.
- Parsley – And to finish of your perfect pizza, sprinkle a little bit of parsley as a garnish for some color.
How to Make Artichoke Pizza
- Prepare oven and pizza stone. Preheat the oven and line a baking sheet or pizza stone with parchment paper.
- Roll dough. On a floured surface, roll, stretch and shape the pizza dough, while creating an edge for the crust.
- Cook spinach. Heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat and sauté spinach until cooked and wilted. Let cool and then drain.
- Make artichoke mixture. In a mixing bowl, combine spinach, artichoke hearts, cheeses, cream cheese, mayonnaise, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper.
- Spread onto dough. Spread the artichoke mixture in an even layer over the pizza dough, leaving about 1 inch for the crust.
- Add toppings. Top with remaining cheese and artichoke hearts.
- Bake. Place pizza dough on baking sheet and bake until the edges of pizza are golden brown and the cheese is melted and bubbly. Garnish with parsley, cut into slices, serve, and enjoy! You can also learn how to grill pizza!~
This is a great recipe because you can definitely modify it to your liking. Below are a few suggestions:
- If you’d like to add a little spice to your artichoke pizza, try adding some red pepper flakes into the mixture.
- Want more veggies? Top your pizza with some sliced or chopped red onions.
- Fresh basil would be a nice addition either on top of or inside the gooey cheese mixture.
- Try using a cauliflower pizza crust or 2 ingredient pizza dough.
More Homemade Pizza Recipes:
- Premade pizza dough
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach chopped
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup artichoke hearts drained, chopped, and divided
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese shredded and divided
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese plus more to sprinkle on top of pizza
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Parsley for garnish; finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees and line a baking sheet or pizza stone with parchment paper. On a floured surface, roll, stretch and shape the pizza dough to a 10-12 inch round, while creating an edge for the crust.
- Add 1 teaspoon of olive oil to a pan and saute spinach until cooked and wilted, about 2 minutes. Let cool for a few minutes and then drain.
- In a mixing bowl, combine spinach, 3/4 cup of artichoke hearts, 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, cream cheese, mayonnaise, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Mix until combined.
- Spread the artichoke mixture evenly over the pizza dough, leaving about 1 inch for the crust.
- Sprinkle the remaining mozzarella cheese, artichoke hearts and 1 tablespoon of parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the edges of pizza are golden brown and the cheese is melted and bubbly. Garnish with parsley, cut into slices, serve, and enjoy!
- If you’ve tried this recipe, come back and let us know how it was in the comments or ratings.
This topping combo is fabulous! I served it as an appetizer with a glass of wine to some guests and everyone loved it.
OMG literally two of my favorite things combined into one!! I am so excited to try this artichoke pizza recipe, it looks so easy to make and so freaking delicious!
This was a new one for us. We’d never had an artichoke pizza but it was very good. Great mixture of flavors.
Made this as an appetizer over the weekend. So much better (and more fun) than regular spinach artichoke dip. Will be making again for sure!
OMG artichokes are my absolute favorite. Had a jar to use up and tried this, total winner for dinner last night.