Homemade Butter is so simple, you’ll wonder why you never made your own butter at home before. With only 4 ingredients, you’ll be “churning” every day! Churn away, foodie friends!
This Homemade Butter Recipe is ready in just 5 minutes using your blender, heavy cream, ice water and salt. You’ll wonder why you never made butter at home before!
Seriously. Homemade butter is the bomb! And who can say they make their own butter? YOU!
Add fresh herbs, lemon or lime zest, dried fruit or nuts to your homemade butter and complement whatever you serve it with. No additives, no preservatives and you have control over how much salt is added, what isn’t to love?
When cream is agitated, butter granules form and separate from the liquid, also known as buttermilk.
Are you having your “aha” moment yet? Homemade Butter is then seasoned with salt and ready to go. Simple as that.
I like to use cheese salt, but if you don’t have that on hand, use Kosher salt or fine sea salt. Or you can be like the fancy restaurants and just served unsalted butter with a coarse salt on the side.
I’d give you a list of recipes that use butter as recommendations… but that would be most of my recipes. I love butter. Real butter. Not margarine. But do check out my extensive list of compound butters.
So get on the butter train and start “churning”!
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon cheese salt or Kosher Salt
- Ice Water
- Desired add-ins
- Place heavy cream in food processor or blender. Hit blend and watch your appliance do the work. You will see the mixture changes in both consistency and color over about 2-3 minutes.
- Continue to mix until cream separates into butter and butterfat. Drain off butterfat. Discard or reserve for other recipes like White Chocolate and Raspberry Pancakes.
- Add 1/2 cup ice water and continue to blend for 30 seconds. Drain off water. Add additional 1/2 cup ice water and repeat. Drain.
- Remove from food processor or blender and fold in cheese salt by hand. Mix well or else you will get a mouth full of salt at some point. Add other flavors as well- fresh herbs, citrus zest, dried fruit bits or other spices.
- Refrigerate until ready to use in any recipe that requires butter!
If you've tried this recipe, please come back and let us know how it was!