Italian Sausage Sandwich Sliders are a game-changer! Layered with flavor, they are a crowd-pleaser perfect for parties or a light lunch.
What's In This Article
What are Italian Sausage Sandwich Sliders?
These Italian Sausage Sandwich Sliders are easy to prepare and even easier to eat. Featuring grilled sausage and Hawaiian rolls, they are sure to impress.
It’s time sliders got the gourmet treatment. Flavorful grilled sausage patties are paired with zippy shallots, sweet roasted red peppers, Dijon mustard and piled high on pillowy-soft, buttery King’s Hawaiian Rolls. They are the best slider sandwiches!
Why You’ll Love Italian Sausage Sandwich Sliders
Are the classic slider recipes delicious? Absolutely! I love making mini burgers, chicken sandwiches, and ham and cheese sliders regularly, but sometimes you just need to switch things up. And these are super special.
- Hawaiian rolls are key – King’s Hawaiian Rolls are addictive because of their fluffy texture and their subtle sweetness. Not to mention their heft – sturdy enough to pack with lots of fillings while still super soft.
- Crowd-pleaser – People love easy-to-eat handheld food and these little beauties really hit the mark.
- Make Ahead – You can get everything ready to go the day before so all you have to do is cook and assemble day of. What’s easier than that?
What is Italian Sausage?
Italian sausage is typically a pork-based sausage that is seasoned with a whole host of different spices and aromatics. They can be sweet or spicy.
For these sliders, I prefer to make my own mix and use onion, garlic, dried oregano, and more to create a flavorful blend with a little kick. Super easy to make at home and on the fly.
Thankfully this recipe is easy to shop for and many items might already be in your pantry or fridge.
- Ground Pork – Pretty straightforward and easy to find at the butcher counter or the meat aisle. An 80/20 fat-to-lean ratio will give you great flavor without being too heavy.
- Onion Powder – Dehydrated and ground onion that gives your patties amazing flavor without adding moisture.
- Garlic Powder – Giving loads of flavor without having to mess with fresh garlic cloves.
- Cayenne Pepper – Brings a bit of heat to the recipe.
- Ground White Pepper – A little spicier than black peppercorns for some kick, but you can use black pepper in a pinch.
- Crushed Red Pepper – Dried chiles and their seeds = good heat. Plus great on pizza!
- Paprika – Bringing some pepper sweetness to the table.
- Dried Oregano – Very aromatic. This helps round out the heat and highlights the natural sweetness in the pork.
- Breadcrumbs – All meat patties need some sort of binder and that is what these do here.
- Egg yolk – Helping keep these patties together.
- Pickled Red Onions – If you don’t feel like making your own, these are easy to find in the grocery store.
- Roasted Red Peppers – Buying these jarred makes life really easy. Cut into smaller strips.
- Cooking spray – Even oil distribution for cooking.
- Alfalfa Sprouts – Not a necessity, but they offer an amazing nutty and sweet flavor.
- Dijon Mustard – Bringing the tang alongside the onions.
- Hawaiian Rolls – Sweet and soft but sturdy enough to be the best base for any slider sandwich.
How to Make Italian Sausage Sandwich Sliders
- Make your patties. Get your hands a little messy and mix your pork, seasonings, breadcrumbs, and egg yolk together. Think of it like making slightly flat meatballs.
- Make your pickled red onions. Can you buy store-bought? Sure! But having the option to make these on the fly when you want to is fantastic and ridiculously fast.
- Form the patties and chill. Allowing these to rest allows the flavors to meld and the fat to firm back up. In short, juicier and more flavorful Italian Sausage patties.
- Cook your patties. Be sure to preheat your pan or skillet well to ensure a nice sear on them. If you want to add even more flavor, bust out the grill and allow the patties to cook over indirect heat for approximately 15 minutes or until they reach that same internal temp of 145F.
- Assemble the sliders. I like to create an assembly line of sorts so I can easily put these together and get them to hungry guests.
What to Serve with Italian Sausage Sliders
The sky is the limit here! They go well with everything. Some of my personal favorites are pasta salad, grilled corn on the cob, baked beans, or even coleslaw.
Variations on Italian Sausage Sliders
If you do not want to make your own patties, you can buy pre-made Italian sausage links. My preference is either mild or hot Italian sausage. Before cooking them, remove the casings and work to shape them into patties. Cooking method is the same!
Change up the toppings! Spicy mustard is great. You can even add cheese if you like. Provolone or melty mozzarella make great additions.
Storage & Freezing
I wouldn’t recommend storing the sandwiches already assembled, but you can have some of the pieces ready to go.
Refrigerator: Raw patties can sit in the fridge up to 24 hours before cooking. Once cooked, they can store for 2-3 days in an air-tight container.
Freezer: Allow the cooked patties to come to room temperature and store in an airtight ziploc baggie to prevent freezer burn. Store for 2-3 months.
Common Questions at Italian Sausage Sandwich Sliders
Tons of things are great to pair with Italian Sausage Sandwich Sliders! Pasta salad, corn on the cob, baked beans, and coleslaw are just a few.
Lots of things! Mustard, pickled red onions, roasted red peppers, alfalfa sprouts, and cheese are all great pairings.
Salsiccia is the Italian word for raw, rolled sausage.
More easy sandwich recipes:
- Pesto Chicken Salad Sandwiches
- Pimento Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
- Insane Steak Sandwiches
- The BEST Breakfast Sandwich
- Korean Street Toast
Tools for making slider sandwiches:
Mixing Bowls– make sure to check out my article on Using the Right Mixing Bowl, you’d be surprised how many people aren’t!
Grill Tools– If you have a grill, then you need grill tools!
Wood cutting board – wood won’t dull your knives like plastic and if treated properly, has natural antimicrobial properties.
Good knife – Global is my favorite! They are worth the price, I promise. I am kind of obsessed with them and store them tucked away so no one else can use them. Including hubby. Hands off my good stuff!
Italian Sausage Sandwich Sliders
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon bread crumbs
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup pickled red onions
- 1/4 cup roasted red peppers, cut into small strips
- cooking spray
- 1 cup alfalfa sprouts
- dijon mustard
- 12 slider rolls
- By hand, blend together ground pork, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, ground white pepper, crushed red pepper, paprika, oregano, bread crumbs and egg yolk.
- Meanwhile, simmer sliced shallots in cider vinegar and water over medium heat in a small sauce pan. Remove and strain when they are soft, approximately 10 minutes.
- Form into 12 2-inch patties. Arrange in a single layer on a plate, cover, and chill for at least 30 minutes, but up to 24 hours.
- When you are ready to cook, prep and heat a large skillet or cast iron skillet over medium heat. Cook on each side for 5-7 minutes or until pork reaches an internal temperature of 145 degrees.
- Assemble sliders on slider rolls with one sausage patty, a dollop of Dijon mustard, roasted red peppers, pickled red onion, and alfalfa sprouts.
I love sliders. These look so yummy and a must try.
Mmmmm, this seems like a nice recipe that takes sausage in a whole new and exciting direction.
I love sliders and they’re great for the summer. I can do the pickled shallots, but I don’t think I could do the alfalfa sprouts!
I love Kings Hawaiian Rolls they’re my favorite. I think I’m going to make something similar to this for dinner tomorrow 🙂
That looks so yummy!! My family would really enjoy that.
Such a great idea! I am not a big hamburger person… this would be a nice switch out!
Those look delicious. I wold love to try the pickled shallots!
What a unique combination of flavours. It looks like a delicious recipe to try.
What a creative recipe! I pinned it!
These look sooooo good! I must make them! What a great combination.
Sliders are the best – I love smaller sized foods! Kings Hawaiian is also the best – so yummy and they never lost long in our house.
This is a great combo! Pickled, crunch, roasted, and sausage…that’s a great bite!
Those look great. We pretty much always have Kings Hawaiian rolls on hand in our house, I am going to give the recipe a try.
My husband is a huge fan of any sort of slider! We always buy the King’s Hawaiian rolls cause they’re my fave. I love the sweetness in them!
I know this is one slider that I would love. They really look and sound delicious and I am sure worth all of the prep.
Those sliders look super yummy. They look really easy to make too
I want to surprise my husband with these. My kids also really like Hawaiian bread. I need to go pick some up today.
Oh my those look super delicious and I so want to give them a try. Thanks for the recipe.
Mmmmmmm, those already look good. Then they’re between Kings Hawaiian Rolls. I’m sold!
These look great! I think we will have to make this for dinner!