This Cheesy Chicken Noodle Casserole is quick and easy to prepare. With diced chicken, egg noodles, bacon and a creamy cheese sauce this dish will have you reaching for more!
What could be better than a warm bowl of chicken noodle soup? How about an easy throw together casserole! That’s where this chicken noodle casserole comes in. After a busy day I’m all about getting an easy dinner to the table without too much fuss. Who doesn’t love easy casserole recipes??
This cheesy chicken casserole recipe is perfect because it uses pre-cooked chicken and bacon, which means less time preparing dinner. It’s actually a great way to use leftover chicken. The only thing you need to cook before it goes into the oven is the noodles and I use that time to prepare the sauce and chop the chicken. It’s something the whole family will enjoy.
We love this chicken casserole not only because it is easy to prepare, but the cheesy noodles pair so well with the chunks of chicken and smoky bacon. This dish is nice and creamy, but the panko topping ads a great, crunchy texture.
What's In This Article
Cheesy Chicken Noodle Casserole Ingredients
The creamy sauce in this easy Cheesy Chicken Noodle Casserole is made with simple ingredients and comes together in minutes. I use:
- condensed cheddar cheese soup
- sour cream
- and eggs for a nice rich flavor
- and then add Monterey jack cheese.
You can use any cheese you like in this dish, but I use Monterey jack because it melts so well, has great flavor and doesn’t leave the sauce oily like cheddar sometimes can.
One thing I highly recommend is no matter what cheese you choose, make sure it is freshly shredded. Pre-shredded cheese contains added ingredients which will give your sauce a gritty texture.
The only vegetables I used were peas, but this cheesy chicken noodle casserole recipe would also be great with:
- green beans
However, I recommend sautéing these vegetables to soften them before adding them to the remaining ingredients as the bake time is too short to cook them through.
Pro Tip: Using a store-bought rotisserie chicken will save you time in the kitchen. Just remove the skin, shred the meat and it’s ready to use. Or you could easily make my Instant Pot Whole Chicken, too!
Last is the bread crumb topping which really brings it all together and gives it some crunch!
How to Make Chicken Noodle Casserole
Start by cooking the egg noodles to al dente following package instructions.
In a large bowl, mix cheddar condensed soup, sour cream, eggs, milk, and spices until smooth. Stir in the chicken, bacon, cheese and peas until combined.
Stir cooked egg noodles into the cheese mixture, then pour into a lightly greased 9×13 pan.
In a small bowl, combine the bread crumbs, parmesan cheese and melted butter. Then sprinkle on top of the casserole.
Place in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes until the sauce is bubbly and the top is golden brown. It will be tempting, but let it sit for a few minutes to settle and cool down.
Best Noodles to Use
I like using broad egg noodles for this cheesy chicken noodle casserole dish because they pair well with the creamy cheese sauce. But you can use any pasta you like such as penne, shells or bow-tie.
When you cook egg noodles, be sure to cook them just until al dente. They will continue to cook when the casserole is baked, so you don’t want them to get too mushy.
Making Comforting Chicken Noodle Casserole Ahead of Time
You can certainly make this casserole ahead of time. In fact, it’s a great dish to make to take to someone in need like an elderly neighbor or new parents!
Simply assemble the casserole and then store it in the refrigerator until ready to bake. You may need to add a few extra minutes to the cook time if it is going into the oven cold.
If you’d like to freeze it, here are my instructions for how to freeze casseroles! And if you have any leftovers that you’ll eat within a few days, just be sure to store it in an airtight container and keep it in the refrigerator.
Even more chicken casseroles that you will love:
- Chicken Broccoli Casserole
- French Onion Chicken Casserole
- Southwestern Chicken Casserole
- Cheesy Chicken Casserole
- Chicken Pot Pie Casserole
Cheesy Chicken Noodle Casserole
- 12 ounces dry broad egg noodles
- 10.5 ounces can condensed cheddar cheese soup
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup milk
- 1 tablespoons ground mustard
- 2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 cups cooked chicken , diced or shredded
- 1 cup bacon , cooked and chopped
- 2 cups monterey jack cheese , shredded
- 1 cup frozen peas
- ½ cup panko bread crumbs
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese , finely grated
- ¼ cup butter , melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add the egg noodles. Cook for about 6 minutes, then drain. They should still be slightly firm as they will continue to cook in the oven.
- In a large bowl, mix condensed cheddar soup, sour cream, eggs, milk, and spices until smooth. Stir in the chicken, bacon, cheese and peas until combined.
- Stir noodles into the cheese mixture, then pour into a lightly greased 9×13 pan.
- In a small bowl, combine the bread crumbs, parmesan cheese and melted butter. Then sprinkle on top of the casserole.
- Place in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes until the sauce is bubbly and the top is golden brown. Allow to rest for 10 minutes before serving.
- If you've tried this recipe, come back and let us know how it was!