When you want a dish that you can set and forget, the slow cooker is your best friend. Slow Cooker Apple Balsamic Chicken is simple, tasty, and sure to wow. Plus, it frees you up to do other things!
Slow Cooker Apple Balsamic Chicken is big on flavor and a bonafide crowd pleaser. Serve with buttered rice or noodles for a simple and delicious meal.
‘Tis the season for slow cookers. Whether you have other things to do or simply don’t want to make it a big production of dinner, this one device makes your time in the kitchen a breeze.
What an invention! I honestly don’t know what I would do without this handy dandy machine in my kitchen.
I just adore how tender meats are after being steamed in a slow cooker. It locks all the moisture right in without any backbreaking work on your part. Plus, there is the ease of throwing everything (or almost everything) in a single pot. Seriously, it is easy and error-proof.
While I love the ease of using a slow cooker, the length of cooking sometimes muddies the flavors too much during the cook.
This can result in under seasoning on the back end of the recipe. To battle that, I made sure this recipe was flavor-packed from the start.
Slow Cooker Apple Balsamic Chicken uses apple jelly, robust balsamic vinegar, and apple juice to maintain maximum flavor during the cook. It is sweet, tart, and just the right consistency, just like my Balsamic Pork Chops.
This recipe can be made with any cut of chicken, however, I prefer to use a boneless chicken breast. Don’t worry about a dry hunk of meat at the end.
The long cook makes them extra tender. As a bonus vinegar and the acid in the apple juice naturally tenderize the chicken as it cooks and helps to keep it moist.
If you are a fan of dark meat, try boneless skinless chicken thighs instead. These have a bit more fat on them and it will render out making for an extra delicious sauce.
While I don’t love going overboard on fats, fat does equal flavor not to mention a delicious sauce.
If you want to get some veggies in the meal and don’t feel like dirtying another pot, throw in some baby carrots or some pearl onions.
Not only will it give you the well-rounded meal you are looking for, but both will lend a flavor to the sauce while taking on the flavor of the sauce themselves. It’s win-win!
I serve mine over lightly buttered rice because it is simple and delicious, but I think I will try buttered egg noodles next time as well. Reminds me a bit of beef stroganoff. No matter what you serve it with, it will give you a perfectly well-rounded meal.
More crock pot recipes:
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos
- Slow Cooker Beef Stew
- Slow Cooker Garlic Dill Mashed Potatoes
- Crock Pot Grape Jelly Meatballs
- Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
- Crock Pot Mac and Cheese
- Slow Cooker Baked Beans
CONNECT WITH SAVORY EXPERIMENTS!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Youtube
Pinterest | Instagram
Get our FREE 8 Day E-Course on How to Be a Better Home Cook. Sign up HERE!
Slow Cooker Apple Balsamic Chicken
- 4 chicken breasts boneless, skinless
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1 cup apple jelly
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Cooked rice or egg noodles for serving
- Fresh parsley coarsely chopped
- In your slow cooker, whisk together apple juice through ground black pepper. Add chicken breasts, turning once to coat.
- Set slow cooker to high for 4 hours.
- At four hours, skim any fats from the top of the mixture.
- Melt butter in a small bowl, whisking in cornstarch. Stir into slow cooker mixture to thicken the sauce. Continue cooking on low for 30 minutes.
- Serve hot over rice or egg noodles. Garnish with parsley, if desired.
- If you’ve tried this recipe, come back and let us know how it was!