If you’ve been looking for recipes that use smoked salmon, look no further! This Ultimate Salmon Sandwich will WOW you and your guests! Forget going out, you’ll be bringing the gourmet factor right to your home with this recipe!
The Ultimate Salmon Sandwich is THE BEST salmon sandwich, because it uses two types of salmon with dilled sour cream and caviar on a delicious buttery brioche roll!
This Salmon Sandwich is going to be the fanciest sandwich you ever sink your teeth into! Not one, but two types of salmon with caviar! I originally had this sandwich at Duesenberg’s, a cafe here in Baltimore. I couldn’t stop thinking about it, so I had to make it at home!
Why use two types of salmon? Because fresh salmon and smoked have two very distinct flavors and textures. fresh salmon, if cooked properly to medium, will be silky and soft, while smoked salmon will be oily and robust.
They complement each other wonderfully. Dilled sour cream adds a creamy accompaniment and caviar the saltiness we all crave with a “pop” in each bite.
Stop thinking that caviar is beyond your reach. Have you ever tried it? Sure there is the uber expensive beluga caviar costing thousands of dollars per tin.
Can you hear the voice of Robin Leach announcing this delicacy on the The Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous? Well there is that type of caviar and then there is the poor person’s blend.
You know, the type you and I can find at the regular grocery store. And afford without a loan.
This type of caviar will only set you back about $10. Sure that is a lot for a Salmon Sandwich, but beleive me, it makes the dish. And then you get to tout all about your fancy caviar and salmon sandwich to all your friends on Instagram!
Caviar doesn’t taste “fishy”, but rather salty with a little pop.
Do you eat sushi? You know the little orange balls that grace your rolls from time to time? That is Tobiko, also known as flying fish roe, and it is a cheaper type of caviar as well.
I like serving my Ultimate Salmon Sandwich on a buttery brioche roll. These are homemade, but feel free to find them at the grocery store or bakery. They are a lot of work. But man, you can’t beat the taste and texture of a real brioche roll.
If you like my Ultimate Salmon Sandwich, you’ll love these other easy salmon recipes!
Tools you’ll need to create the Ultimate Salmon Sandwich:
Black Caviar– see my notes above, it’s not “cheap”, but it also won’t break the bank and you get to be all fancy eating your caviar like the star that you are!
Smoked Salmon– smoked salmon can be purchased in the grocery store, but you’ll often get better deals online. Since it is smoked, the shelf life is way longer than raw salmon! If you have any leftover, use it for my Smoked Salmon Crackers.
The Ultimate Salmon Sandwich
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Dash of hot sauce
- 16 ounces of salmon filets no skin (or remove skin after cooking)
- 6 ounces smoked salmon
- 4 large brioche rolls
- 2 tablespoons black caviar
- Fine sea salt and pepper
- Cooking Spray
- In a small mixing bowl combine sour cream, fresh dill, lemon juice and hot sauce. Set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Remove raw salmon from packaging, rinse, pat dry and season both sides with fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Cook salmon covered for 2 minutes on each side. Salmon can be cooked and served medium to medium rare. If you prefer a well done version or your filet is thicker than 1/2 inch, cook for an additional minute on each side. Cooking times will vary.
- Remove salmon and divide into 4 equal 4-ounce pieces.
- Assemble the sandwich by cutting each roll in half. Divide both types of salmon evenly among each brioche roll. On the top half of the rolls smear dilled sour cream spread and 1/2 tablespoon black caviar. Top and enjoy!
- If you've tried this recipe, come back and let us know how it was!