Crispy Chicken Parmesan Recipe
All good Italian girls have to know how to make a fabulous parmesan crusted chicken! You might be wondering how to make chicken parmesan, well this recipe will help you achieve just that!
This is the best Parmesan Chicken recipe that you will come across! The best part is, it only takes 30 minutes to get it from the oven to your table!
Parmesan Chicken has many names depending on where your family hails. As a child I called them pounded chicken breasts (due to the meat mallet tenderizing process).
My mother called them Chicken alla Parmesana. My husband’s family and many other Italians refer to them as chicken cutlets. In French cuisine they are called paillards.
Any which way you put it, they are delicious. Juicy chicken surrounded by a tasty crust. They are also the base for many other recipes and easily dressed up with a variety of sauces.
Whether you decide to add the marinara sauce and smoked buffalo mozzarella for Parmesan Chicken or go “naked”, this chicken parmesan recipe is an easy weeknight meal.
This recipe uses fresh herbs, but you can also use dried. Adding Parmesan cheese to the breading creates a nutty flavor and browns the crust beautifully. Make sure you have a large, heavy bottom skillet or cast iron skillet for frying.
If you enjoyed this parmesan crusted chicken, be sure to check out some of these easy Italian recipes:
- Slow Cooker Balsamic Chicken Pasta
- Instant Pot Spaghetti and Meatballs
- Bolognese Sauce
- Chicken Cacciatore
CONNECT WITH SAVORY EXPERIMENTS!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Youtube
Pinterest | Instagram
Get our FREE 8 Day E-Course on How to Be a Better Home Cook. Sign up HERE!
- 4 chicken breasts , boneless, skinless
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- Salt and pepper
- 2 eggs , beaten
- 1 1/2 cup plain bread crumbs*
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano , finely minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh basil , finely minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian parsley , finely minced
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese , grated
- 1/4 cup butter , divided
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 1 cup smoked buffalo mozzarella**
- Heat oven to 300 degrees and line a rimmed baking sheet with paper towels.
- Place one chicken breast between two sheets of plastic wrap or wax paper on a cutting board. Using a tenderizer, pound the chicken breast until it is a uniform thickness, about 1/4 inch or a tiny bit thicker. Continue with remaining breasts. Cut each flattened breast in half, smaller pieces are easier to handle when frying.
- You will need three pie plates or mixing bowls. In bowl #1 mix flour, nutmeg and season with salt and pepper. In bowl #2 beat two eggs. In bowl #3 mix bread crumbs, freshly minced herbs and Parmesan cheese.
- Heat 1 tablespoons butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil in large frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Working briskly, dredge chicken in flour mixture, then egg mixture and finally bread crumb mixture. Pressing bread crumbs into the breast. The flour is necessary to get the egg to stick and the egg is necessary for the bread crumbs to stick.
- Place into hot frying pan. Fry for 3-4 minutes on each side or until medium brown. Place on a paper towel lined baking sheet and into the warm oven.
- Continue with remaining breasts, being careful to not crowd the pan. If the frying pan gets dry, melt an additional 1 tablespoon butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil. The liquid will absorb into the breading (adding flavor!).
- Plate chicken parmesan on plates, spoon marinara over top along with shredded, smoked buffalo mozzarella.
- If you’ve tried this recipe, come back and let us know how you liked it!