Have a few slices of day-old pound cake lying around? Use them to make French Toast!
Pound cake is a fabulous thing. It is denser than everage cake so it is capable of doing SO Many more things! Cut into cubes for a trifle, use slices for a dessert panini, grill it or even make it into French toast.
They got their name because the original ingredient list was simple. One pound of butter, one pound of sugar and one pound of flour with a few eggs. Hence, pound cake. You never need to write it down!
But with no leaveners or other flavors, this also meant they were heavy and needed to be accompanied by sauce or fresh fruit. Since, many variations of pound cake have emerged.
Pound Cake French Toast Toppings
Now you have delicious delicious cinnamon spiked French toast pound cake- you need to make it extra special.
- Flavored Syrups– Consider topping it with a fruit syrup like cranberry or apple cider. Dutch honey or homemade blueberry syrup are awesome choices as well.
- Fruit Sauces and Jams– Fresh raspberry sauce, cherry jam, strawberry topping- anything sweet with fruit is going to tastes amazing!
- Fresh fruit slices– Fruit salad on top of cake, anyone?
- Sauces and Syrup– Fudge sauce, caramel, dulce de leche, Dutch honey or homemade blueberry syrup – they are all amazing. Yes, this is breakfast, but it is also cake!
- Whipped Cream– Don’t forget the real whipped cream and ditch the hydrogenated oil stuff from the store.
Type of Pound Cake
What flavor you use is totally up to you! This recipe is great for using up a few slices of leftover bundt cake, but also for loaf cake. You can buy premade Entenmann’s or make your own for just this purpose.
I prefer to use a vanilla flavored cake- whether it is my classic vanilla pound cake or sour cream pound cake. Things get a little trickier if the cake had a glaze or frosting, but it isn’t impossible. Just gentle wipe off anything that is large and could burn in the pan. A little glaze won’t hurt.
Feel free to try other flavor combinations like:
- Chocolate Pound Cake
- Key Lime Cake
- Strawberry Loaf
- 7-Up Pound Cake
- Almond Loaf Cake
- Lemon Yogurt Pound Cake
- Berry Buttermilk Bundt Cake
How To Make
It is like making traditional French toast, but with a different type of bread.
- Cut your pound cake into 1-2 inch slices.
- Dredge in a mixture of egg, milk and cinnamon.
- Heat butter in a large frying pan. I like to use non-stick for this type of recipe. I also keep the heat on medium-low so I don’t burn the butter.
- Cook on both sides until egg starts to turn yellow and brown.
- Remove and top with real maple syrup and other desired topping. I used powdered sugar with fresh blueberries and peaches.
And there you go! A delicious gourmet breakfast using leftovers from dessert. Cake for breakfast anyone?
Heavy Bottom Frying Pan– this will be one of your most used kitchen tools. Having something that is heavy bottom will distribute heat better and prevent burning whether you are using an electric or gas range.
Electric Griddle– You can also use an electric griddle. This one comes in fun colors.
Pie Plates– I think every kitchen should have at least three shallow dishes or pie plates for the process of breading and frying. You can also bake pies in them! Hehe.
CONNECT WITH SAVORY EXPERIMENTS!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Youtube
Pinterest | Instagram
Get our FREE 8 Day E-Course on How to Be a Better Home Cook. Sign up HERE!
Pound Cake French Toast
- In a small bowl, whisk together eggs, cinnamon and milk. Set aside until ready to cook.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of butter until melted.
- Right when it melts, dredge pound cake slices in egg mixture and add to the pan. You might have to work in batches and only do 2-3 slices at a time.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side or until egg batter turns yellow and lightly browned.
- Remove and keep warm until you are finished with the rest.
- To plate, top with maple syrup, fresh fruit and whipped cream. Or other desired toppings.
- If you’ve tried this recipe, come back and let us know how it was in the comments or ratings!