These cheesy tater tots are the definition of delicious. The tater tots are cooked until they are nice and crispy, then smothered in a blend of melted goodness – otherwise known as cheese, and topped with crumbled bacon and chives! Yummy!
Cheesy Loaded Tater Tots are an easy side dish recipe or appetizer. Cheesy tater tots are perfect for enjoying while watching football or even as a side dish for hamburgers or hot dogs!
Gourmet tater tots is a new food trend gracing gastropub menus over the last few years.
While I do like trying out the fancy tots, like buffalo chicken or crab dip, my all-time favorite are simple loaded tater tots: cheesy loaded tater tots! Why complicate something that is already amazing?
Make sure you PIN Cheesy Loaded Tater Tots!
Cheesy loaded tater tots are great as a side or appetizer. I prefer to fry my tater tots because they are so much crisper, but in the essence of saving hands-on time or calories, you can bake them.
If you have any tater tots left, then these are also perfect for leftover tots from another meal!
PRO TIP: Don’t fool yourself, fried tater tots are SO much better than baked tater tots! But if you do bake them, do it in a single layer for maximum crunch.
This has become my go-to side dish to serve at parties and get togethers. I actually have started getting requests to make them now when we are having people over or going to someone’s house.
As I have said before, I would choose potatoes over any other vegetable on any given day. These cheesy loaded tater tots are technically potatoes with a little bit of alteration.
Therefore I will always include them on my list of potato favorites. They’re so mouth-watering when everything is combined!
Cheddar cheese and bacon with chives or green onions. You can also choose your favorite dipping sauce (of none if you are like me). Good choices are sour cream, ranch dressing, blue cheese or even homemade buffalo sauce.
Just as a tip, I prefer to use a full fat cheese versus reduced fat; it improves the melty factor. Freshly shredded straight off the block is also better than bagged pre-shredded cheese.
Pre-shredded cheese has a light coating of flour to prevent it from clumping in the bag, but this also impacts the “melty” factor and sometimes leaves an odd texture.
If you loved this easy appetizer, be sure to check out these other easy recipes:
- In-N-Out Burger Animal Style Fries
- Nashville Hot Chicken Sliders
- 3-Pepper Smoked Hickory Wings
- Crabby Totchos
- Loaded Mexican Tater Tot Nachos
- Southern Salmon Croquettes
- Mexican Cream Cheese Shrimp Dip
- Cream Cheese Sausage Balls
- Cajun Fries
After you’re done with your delicious appetizers, do you ever think “what should I make for dinner tonight?” Click the link for some ideas!
Tools for making Cheesy Loaded Tater Tots:
Rimmed Baking Sheet– another kitchen staple! You’ll use this for prep work, roasting and much more. I have 7 at my house.
Wood cutting board – wood won’t dull your knives like plastic and if treated properly, has natural antimicrobial properties.
Good knife – Global is my favorite! They are worth the price, I promise. I am kind of obsessed with them and store them tucked away so no one else can use them. Including hubby. Hands off my good stuff!Cheesy Loaded Tater Tots are an easy side dish recipe or appetizer. Loaded tater tots are the best since they are loaded with cheese and bacon!
Cheesy Loaded Tater Tots
- Cook tater tots according to package directions. You can choose to bake or to fry.
- Preheat broiler in oven. Spray a 9×13 metal or glass rectangular dish sprayed with cooking spray. Spread tots in an equal layer and season with salt and pepper. Cover with 2 cups of cheese- you can choose to do less, but hey, they are CHEESY tots. Top cheese with crumbled bacon
- Broil on high until all cheese has melted, approximately 3-4 minutes. Top with fresh chives or scallions and serve! Enjoy your Cheesy Bacon Tots!
- If you’ve tried this recipe, make sure to come back and let us know how it was!