Homemade Buffalo sauce recipes are all too often more complicated than they need to be. There are only a couple of ingredients needed for a classic wing hot sauce. We love spicy food at our house, so there is always a batch in the fridge.
What is in Buffalo Sauce?
So now onto the buffalo sauce recipe… hot wing sauce ingredients are typically a base of white vinegar or butter. Generally speaking, the two are on a continuum; the more butter the more mild, the more vinegar, the spicer. Different types of chile powder are used, but generally it is a basic cayenne pepper.
Anchor Bar Buffalo Wing Sauce is only two ingredients: Frank’s Hot Sauce and unsalted butter. The best, and some might say the only, sauce for chicken wings.
But I promise you, when you whip those two ingredients together, magic happens, but when you elevate the spicy pepper and vinegar aspects, it is pure bliss.
- Grab the ingredients and a small saucepan.
- Whisk together over medium heat until fully combined.
- Store in an airtight container until you are ready to use.
Commonly Asked Questions
Buffalo sauce has hot sauce in it, so kinda yes but kinda no.
You can certainly make a tasty sauce for wings, but neither will make a true buffalo sauce. Both are a cayenne pepper sauce made with hot peppers, but Frank’s Red Hot Sauce is the most traditional. Diamond Crystal can also be used.
You can! The best way is to put it in an airtight plastic bag, releasing as much air as possible. It should be good for up to 6 months. Check out my tips on freezing food HERE.
Yes, in fact many folks do because it is more stable than real butter. Margarine is made with vegetable oil and doesn’t actually need to be refrigerated. You’ll find people use this in place of butter for many sauces, even movie theater popcorn.
Hot Wing Sauce Variations
Add a little pizazz to your homemade buffalo sauce recipe using these secret ingredients.
- Garlic Buffalo Sauce- add 1 teaspoon granulated garlic and/or 1 fresh garlic clove while whisking.
- Jalapeno Buffalo Sauce– add 1 minced fresh jalapeno while whisking.
- Super Spicy Buffalo Sauce- add 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper and/or 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne or ground ghost pepper or chili pepper while whisking to up the spice level. You can also add more Frank’s Hot Sauce, changing the ratio.
- BBQ Buffalo– Add 2 tablespoons of your favorite BBQ sauce while whisking. This is my favorite sauce for wings!
- Buffalo Blue or Buffalo Ranch– add 2-3 tablespoons of blue cheese or ranch dressing to the mix. Pr even real blue cheese crumbles.
- Robust- If you want a super heady sauce, try adding a few dabs of Worcestershire sauce to the mix.
- Old Bay– Add 1 teaspoon of Old Bay seasoning seasoning for a taste of Maryland. This is great on top of Maryland Crab Cakes.
Recipes that Use Buffalo Sauce
This versatile sauce can be used as a dipping sauce, in recipes and for drizzling.
- Crispy Baked Garlic Buffalo Wings
- Buffalo Chicken Pinwheels
- Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Buffalo Chicken Meatballs
- Buffalo Chicken Spring Rolls
And of course consider chicken tenders, shrimp, cauliflower bites, French fries, avocado toast, chicken tacos or anything else that needs a level of heat.
Homemade Buffalo Sauce Recipe
- In a small saucepan, whisk together the hot sauce and butter over medium heat until fully incorporated.
- Add the cayenne pepper and apple cider vinegar. Remove from the heat, cool and use in any recipe that requires buffalo sauce.
- If you've tried this recipe, make sure to come back, rate it and leave us a comments.