This post originally appeared on Real Housemoms, where I am a contributor.
Crabby Totchos take crispy fried tater tots and smother in a delicious Old Bay Hot Crab Dip. Top it with melty cheese and you’ve got yourself a beautiful plate of smothered potatoes.
Crabby Totchos are crispy fried tater tots smothered in hot crab dip and topped with melty cheddar cheese. The perfect party appetizer!
Have you ever heard of a “totcho?” Many people have not and the term is relatively new, only hitting the proverbial urban dictionary in the last few years. When you look it up is should say “snack food heaven”.
However, the concept of the totcho has been around for at least two decades here in Maryland and probably at other trailblazing spots across the United States. Today, I’m sharing my favorite totchos ever, Crabby Totchos.
Totcho is the combination of two words: tot (as in tater tot) and nacho. Tater tots that are prepared like nachos, topped with fixings and cheese. There are endless variations with the traditional nachos topping being the most popular: shredded chicken, pico de gallo, nacho cheese sauce, sour cream, and guacamole, but then we break out into the gourmet totcho, if you will.
Gourmet totchos, such as Crabby Totchos, are tater tots topped with other familiar dips. The most popular are Buffalo Chicken, Spinach and Artichoke and of course, Crabby Totcho, which is hot crab dip with oodles of extra cheese.
Totchos come out best when the tater tots are fried. I know this extra step is a lot more than most people want to take considering when I make totchos, the whole point is to be speedy.
So instead, I bake mine and then let them crisp up under the broiler to give a quasi-fried crispness. The crisp factor is key because if you start with soggy tater tots, then the cheesy crab dip will only make them soggier. Start with semi crisp tots and the texture will be just right. Call me the Goldilocks of totchos.
If you are looking for even more recipes that use crab, check these out!
- Spicy Crab and Sausage Soup
- Crab Dip Stuffed Artichoke Hearts
- Crab Bruschetta
- Watermelon and Crab Salad
- Crab Stuffed Mushrooms
Tools for making Crabby Totchos:
Rimmed Baking Sheets- another kitchen staple! You’ll use this for prep work, roasting and much more. I have 7 at my house.
- 32 ounces frozen tater tots
- 2 cups hot crab dip
- ½ cup cheddar cheese , shredded
- 2 tablespoons scallions , chopped
- Maldon Salt or Old Bay Seasoning , optional for garnish
- Prepare frozen tater tots according to package directions, either bake or fry. If you bake, put them under the broiler for a bit to crisp them up.
- Remove from oven and arrange in a pile in the center of your baking sheet or whichever serving dish your totchos will be in. Top generously with creamy crab dip, then cheddar cheese.
- Broil totchos for 3-4 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove and top with scallions and Maldon salt. Serve immediately, Totchos are best served hot!