This post is sponsored by Rio Luna Organics, however recipes, thoughts and opinions are 100% my own.
Have you heard about the hottest new trend? Totchos! The possibilities of what you smother them in are endless, but my all-time favorite and the most popular: tater tot nachos.
What's In This Article
Loaded Tater Tot Nachos, also known as Totchos, are the ultimate game day snack. Smothered with cheese, chicken, pico and green chiles, they are sure to make your guests happy!
Totchos are just like regular nachos, but instead of tortilla chips, you use tater tots! Crispy outside with a soft inside, tater tots are the ultimate finger food and perfect for watching the big game or serving to the kids.
PRO TIP: To sneak in more veggies, use broccoli tots or cauliflower tots!
No nachos, or totchos, are complete without a few key ingredients. Salsa, cheese, sour cream and of course, Rio Luna Organic Green Chiles.
Rio Luna Organics has been providing professional kitchens and chefs with quality organic peppers and jalapeños for years, so it only makes sense to use these to recreate your restaurant-worthy dishes at home.
- Certified organic
- Low calorie
- Cholesterol free
- Made with growers using sustainable farming practices
- Focus on environmental concerns such as water usage and reduced natural gases
They also have a new label to help you pick the perfect pepper- it has a heat index meter right on it! While these green chiles are mild, you can also grab a can in hot or add sliced nacho jalapeños.
But before you get to topping, you’ll need the perfect tater tots. The perfect tater tots are nice and crispy on the outside, but fluffy and soft on the inside. There are several ways to make tater tots.
- Deep Fry
- Air Fryer
I do not recommend using the microwave, you won’t get the crunchy outside. Deep frying will get you the crispest exterior, but leaves you with more oil than is necessary.
The best tots for totchos are either made in the oven or the air fryer. Most bags of frozen tots will have directions for the oven, but take a tip from me and give them a quick broil at the end to crisp them up even more.
Only some bags have instructions for the air fryer, which is just a small convection oven. So here you go…
How to Make Tater Tots in the Air Fryer
- Preheat to 350 degrees. Spray the basket with a nonstick spray. Add tater tots, but no more than 2 layers deep. Anything more and they won’t get crispy.
- Cook for 7-8 minutes. Toss gently and cook for an additional 7-8 minutes.
- Remove and continue with the recipe for loaded totchos.
Next, focus on the cheese. I highly recommend shredding your own cheese. Pre-shredded cheese is convenient, but it tossed in starch to prevent clumping.
In a recipe like this, it can impact meltability and have a grainy texture. Take a few extra minutes to shred your own. Cheddar, pepper jack, cotija, queso fresco and Monterey jack are my favorite choices. Feel free to mix and match.
Swap out chicken for seasoned ground beef, shredded pork carnitas or go vegetarian and skip the meat. If you do opt for chicken, grab a cooked and seasoned rotisserie chicken at the grocery store to save even more time.
The beauty of Tater Tot Nachos is that they are easily customizable, easy to make and always delicious. We hope they make an appearance at your big game party!
Other Tater Tot Recipes you might enjoy:
Tater Tot Nachos (Totchos)
- 4 cups tater tots , cooked
- ½ cup shredded cheese
- ½ cup shredded chicken , cooked
- ½ cup pico de gallo
- 2 tablespoons Rio Luna Organic Green Chiles
- 1 tablespoon sliced black olives
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- Fresh cilantro , optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Pile cooked and crispy tater tots onto the center of the sheet.
- Top with shredded cheese and shredded chicken. Place into oven until cheese melts.
- Remove and top with pico de gallo, green chiles, sliced black olives and sour cream. Fresh cilantro is optional.
- If you’ve tried this recipe, come back and let us know how it was!
I’m making this for the weekend, I bet everyone is going to devour it!
The perfect taters! I would totally have this for dinner tonight and eat the leftovers for breakfast! YUM
A perfect recipe for game day! A great take on traditional nachos with everyone’s favorite tater tots!
This is the perfect kind of game day food! Those green chilis are so tasty!
I am glad I’ve stumbled upon your recipe – I know about totchos now! They certainly look absolutely delicious!