One of the things I enjoy doing most in the kitchen is recreating my favorite takeout menu items at home. Chinese Beef and Broccoli is one of my favorite takeout orders, so I was ecstatic to come up with this easy instant version.
Beef and Broccoli
We don’t eat a lot of takeout in my house, though I will admit it’s been a more frequent occurrence since my daughter was born.
Sometimes, snuggling with her on the couch takes priority over spending time in the kitchen and sometimes my sanity and need to rest trumps any dish I could make that night.
However, when I do have more time to spend in the kitchen, I love experimenting to find ways to make my favorite takeout dishes at home. Bonus points if I can make them in my Instant Pot in less than the amount of time it would take delivery to arrive.
Homemade Beef and Broccoli was my latest challenge and I think I nailed it with this Instant Pot recipe. It is a knock-off of my Slow Cooker Beef and Broccoli, which is always a hit and sometimes even requested by guests dining over.
Which is funny- all the fancy things I love to make and yet this recipe is what they ask for. LOL.
Many people think that making copycat takeout items, especially Chinese dishes, requires having lots of unusual ingredients on hand but that’s not the case with this Homemade Beef and Broccoli.
All of the ingredients were already in my kitchen, making it a great weeknight dinner.
If you are totally obsessed with your Instant Pot, here are a few more Instant Pot Recipe:
- Instant Pot Sweet Cornbread
- Instant Pot Short Ribs
- Instant Pot Chicken Paella
- Pressure Cooker Italian Pot Roast
- Instant Pot Swiss Steak
And even more beef recipes!
- Mongolian Beef Stir Fry
- Easy Cube Steak with Gravy
- Pan Fried Steak
- Reverse Sear Beef Tenderloin
- Beef Goulash
- Salisbury Steak with Gravy
- French Onion Meatloaf
Instant Pot Beef and Broccoli
- 2-3 pounds chuck roast beef , trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium white onion , sliced
- 1 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 3-4 teaspoons garlic , minced
- 3-4 teaspoons fresh ginger , grated
- 2 cups beef stock
- 12 ounces frozen broccoli florets
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds , optional
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch or arrowroot
- 1/4 cup scallions , sliced for garnish
- Rice , for serving
- Turn Instant Pot to saute function, heat vegetable oil.
- In a small bowl, whisk together soy sauce, brown sugar, sesame oil, apple cider vinegar, garlic and ginger.
- Add sliced beef, browning lightly. Turn off saute function.
- Add sliced onion, soy sauce mixture and beef broth, giving a quick stir to combine.
- Lock the lid in place and turn to manual high pressure for 6 minutes with vent in sealed position.
- Use quick release. And turn saute function back on to heat.
- Whisk cornstarch or arrowroot with 1/4 cup water, add to mixture, stirring to combine.
- Add frozen broccoli. Continue to stir and heat until broccoli is hot, approximately 4 minutes. Sauce should also be thickened.
- Serve over rice and garnish with scallions and sesame seeds.
- If you’ve tried this recipe, come back and let us know how it was!