I love braised short ribs. I don’t, however, love the time required to prepare my favorite short rib recipe. That’s why I came up with these Instant Pot Short Ribs that are still full of my favorite braised short ribs flavor without the time.
This post is sponsored by the Certified Angus Beef® brand in conjunction with a social media campaign through Sunday Supper LLC. All opinions are my own.
These Instant Pot Short Ribs are fork tender, flavorful and so good you’ll make them again and again. Pressure cooker short ribs take considerably less time to make than typical braised short ribs!
What are short ribs? Short ribs are a cut of beef from the brisket, chuck or plate that contains the ends of the ribs.
Short Ribs can be fork tender and one of the most decadent cuts of meat you’ll ever sink your teeth into. They can also be tough and flavorless. One if the most popular ways to cook short ribs is by braising.
My favorite braised short rib recipe from Anne Burrell is a time sucker. Browning the meat, food processing veggies, cooking, sauteing, yada, yada, yada and then finally a long 3 hour braise.
While my Instant Pot Short Ribs is not a “quick” recipe, it is quicker than traditionally braised short ribs. The only set back is that the liquid doesn’t reduce and thicken during the cooking process. By reducing the initial liquid and then thickening with cornstarch, you’ll get the same results with just as much flavor, but with much less work.
I know that many people expect Instant Pot recipes to be…well…instant but I’m finding that I love using my Instant Pot to make recipes that aren’t necessarily “instant” but still much, much faster than the traditional cooking methods. Sometimes you just can’t cut out all of the cooking time but you CAN make the entire process much easier.
And we know easy is the name of my game in the kitchen. In my opinion, if you’re getting the same results with much less work, why not make pressure cooker short ribs?
This braised short rib recipe is great for dinner any night of the week. I like to serve it with traditional American BBQ side dishes, like mac and cheese or potato salad, even though these Instant Pot short ribs are not a traditionally cooked BBQ dish.
Since you like these Instant Pot Short Ribs, you may like these other easy Instant Pot Recipes:
- Instant Pot Pulled Pork
- Instant Pot Chicken Paella
- Instant Pot Corn Chowder
- Instant Pot Bang Bang Chicken
- 5-6 bone-in beef short ribs
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 carrots , cut into 1 inch pieces
- 3 celery stalks , cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 garlic cloves , roughly chopped
- 1 yellow onion , cut into wedges
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 cup tomato paste
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2-3 large bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Dab short ribs dry with a paper towel. Season with Kosher salt and ground black pepper.
- Turn Instant Pot to saute, add olive oil.
- Add short ribs, browning on all sides. Remove to plate and set aside, keeping the Instant Pot on saute.
- Add carrots, celery, garlic and onion. Saute until soft, about 10 minutes.
- Deglaze with red wine, scraping up brown bits from the bottom of the pot.
- Add tomato paste, beef broth and 1 cup water, stirring to combine.
- Return short ribs back to the Instant Pot, spoon liquid over the tops.
- Secure the lid of the Instant Pot, setting the vent to sealed.
- Set manual, high pressure for 40 minutes.
- Allow for 10 minutes natural release, then release remaining pressure.
- Carefully remove short ribs, they will be tender, set aside.
- Remove thyme sprigs and bay leaves.
- Using an immersion blender, mix vegetables and liquid.
- Blend cornstarch with 2 tablespoons water, add to sauce.
- Return to saute, allowing sauce to simmer for 5 minutes to reduce and thicken.
- Add short ribs back to sauce, covering and allow to reheat.
- Serve immediately.
- If you've tried this recipe, come back and let us know how it was!