This easy beef and broccoli recipe only takes 10 minutes of prep time from the fridge to the slow cooker! Better than take out and I bet you’ll agree.
Slow cooker beef and broccoli is one our family favorites. I’ve even made it for house guests who raved and demanded that I make it the next time they visited.
A crockpot meal. Can you beleive that?
Slow Cooker Beef and Broccoli
Slow cookers are absolutely amazing for several reasons. When you need little hands on time, set it and forget it. But also for super tender and moist meats.
Some meat actually needs to be cooked longer at lower temperatures so the fibers break down and tenderize. Beef chuck roast is one of those meats.
Beef and broccoli is actually better in the crockpot than it is quick fried in a skillet or wok. For real!
Crock pots also bring out all the flavors. While it’s stewing, the flavors are mixing and the beef will be falling apart by the time you eat it! When it come to easy beef recipes, this is my favorite!
Beef and Broccoli Ingredients
- Beef- chuck roast
- Soy sauce
- Brown sugar
- Sesame oil
- Apple cider vinegar
- Beef broth
- Corn starch
- Sesame seeds
The list looks extensive, but honestly, it is really easy to put together because nothing requires prep work or chopping.
This is one of the few occassions where I prefer to use a bottled chopped garlic because it is sweeter and a time saver. I also use bottled grated ginger (not ground ginger).
Scallions (green onions) and sesame seeds are totally optional. Broccoli can be frozen or fresh, up to you.
How to Make Slow Cooker Beef and Broccoli
It is honestly super easy. The main ingredient get loaded into the slow cooker and you set it and forget it. But you have to YELL that like they do in the in the infomercials.
After the crockpot has done its job on the meat and sauce, you’ll need to thicken it up a little. The only downfall to a slow cooker is that sauces can reduce and often need to have the seasoning corrected.
Cornstarch will do the trick. This is also the point where you can load in fresh or frozen broccoli. If you put it in at the start it will literally disintegrate so it just needs enough time to heat.
Beef and Broccoli Sauce
The sauce is key for any Chinese beef recipe. Not only for flavor but also to tenderize the beef. Like lo mein, acid and salt will help break down the beef fibers.
Brown sugar balances out the acidity and also gives a hint of molasses. You can cut the amount in half, but be informed that your sauce will be a little more soy and a little less sweet.
I recommend using a low sodium soy sauce and beef broth. You can always add more salt, if needed, but you can’t take it away unless you dilute the sauce and then all the ratios will be off.
Make Ahead, Storage and Freezing
Beef and broccoli actually tastes better the longer it sits, so making it ahead of time and reheating can be beneficial. It can be reheated in the slow cooker again, the stovetop or even the microwave.
The sauce might be a little thick or gelatinous, but it will loosen as it heats. You can always add a small amount of water or beef broth to thin it out.
It can also be frozen in an airtight container for up to 6 months.
Tools You’ll Need
Slow Cooker– This is a slow cooker recipe, so…. This one is my favorite because it is programmable and has locks to lock the lid in place for transit if you are taking it somewhere.
Wood cutting board – wood won’t dull your knives like plastic and if treated properly, has natural antimicrobial properties.
Good knife – Global is my favorite! They are worth the price, I promise. I am kind of obsessed with them and store them tucked away so no one else can use them. Including hubby. Hands off my good stuff!
More slow cooker recipes:
- Slow Cooker Beef Stew
- Slow Cooker Italian Beef Hoagies
- Slow Cooker Garlic Dill Mashed Potatoes
- Crock Pot Chicken Enchilada Dip
Slow Cooker Beef and Broccoli
- 2-3 pounds chuck roast beef , trimmed
- 1 medium white onion , sliced
- 1 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 3-4 teaspoons garlic , minced
- 2 cups low sodium beef broth
- 12 ounces bag frozen broccoli florets
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds , optional
- 4 tablespoons corn starch
- 1/4 cup scallions , sliced for garnish
- 3-4 teaspoons fresh ginger , grated
- Slice beef into 1/2 inch strips against the grain. Place in slow cooker along with sliced onion, soy sauce, brown sugar, sesame oil, apple cider vinegar, garlic, ginger and beef stock. Give it a quick a stir.
- Place on low heat for 6 hours.
- Add frozen broccoli. Spoon out 1/2 cup of liquid and whisk with corn starch. Continue to cook for 15 minutes.
- Serve over rice and garnish with sesame seeds and scallions, if desired.
- If you've tried this recipe, come back, leave a rating and let us know how it was in the comments!