Make your next fiesta a hit with this 7 Layer Bean Dip! Whether you’re looking for easy party appetizers or just need a snack at home, this bean dip is a winner.
With layers of guacamole, sour cream, refried beans and enchilada sauce, you just can’t go wrong!
Do you have a go-to party appetizer? For some reason, I always gravitate towards dips. They are generally easy to make, and after you pick up a bag of chips, you are set!
This seven layer dip (also known as bean dip, Mexican dip, Mexican bean dip and even just Layer dip) is particularly easy, and with so many layers of deliciousness, it packs a huge flavor punch!
With only 15 minutes of prep time, this dip is perfect for when you need an easy appetizer in a pinch.
What's In This Article
What Are The Layers in 7 Layer Dip?
The term “seven layer dip” comes from, you guessed it, the seven layers! Of course, guacamole, refried beans and sour cream are all great by themselves; but just imagine how incredible they are together in one Mexican dip.
This 7 layer dip starts with a base layer of refried beans, which is where it gets it name of “bean dip”. Those are topped with a combination of sour cream, hot sauce and taco seasoning.
Next comes the enchilada sauce, and then the guacamole.
This dip can be easily customized to include your favorite taco toppings, but I like to top mine with shredded cheese, olives, tomatoes and scallions. Shredded lettuce would also be a great addition.
Quite possibly the best part of this dip is that there is no baking required. As soon as you prep it, it is ready to go! You can make this dip ahead of time, but because it is best served cold, I would keep it refrigerated until you are ready to eat it.
I dusted the top of mine with chili powder for extra garnish. Fresh lime juice is also a good choice!
Why You’ll Love This 7 Layer Dip
What’s not to love about a great dip with layers and layers of goodness? Here are some of the reasons we love it.
- Quick and easy – You can have this 7 layer dip ready to go in only 15 minutes. It’s great for a last minute party!
- Loved by all – I haven’t met a person that doesn’t love this easy dip. It’s reminiscent of everyone’s favorite meal- tacos!
- Easily customizable – If there’s a layer that you’re not fond of, you can totally leave it off. You can also add anything that you’d like too.
7 Layer Dip Ingredients
The ingredient list may look a little long, but all of these ingredients can be easily found at your local grocery store.
- Refried beans – It’s super easy to buy a can at the store. But you can also make your own. My homemade refried beans are surprisingly easy to make.
- Sour cream – We will mix this with the taco seasoning to create the second layer of the 7-layer dip. You can use light sour cream if you’d like to.
- Hot sauce – Use your favorite brand of hot sauce here. If you’d like to keep things a little more mild, you can certainly leave it out- or add a little more to make it a bit spicier.
- Taco seasoning – This elevates the sour cream layer just a bit to give it a little more flavor. You can use your favorite packet from the store or make your own.
- Enchilada sauce – This is one of my favorite layers (and arguably the easiest.) You can use my recipe to make your own homemade enchilada sauce or buy it from the store.
- Guacamole – I prefer to use homemade guacamole for the guacamole layer, but you can certainly buy store-bought guacamole from the grocery store. If making your own, be sure to use ripe avocados.
- Cheddar cheese – I like the sharp flavor of cheddar, but you can also use a taco mix or even monterey jack cheese if you’d prefer.
- Olives – If you like sliced black olives on your tacos, you will love them as a topping for your seven-layer dip. They can certainly be left off though too.
- Scallions – Also known as green onions, we use these as a garnish or topping for our 7 layer taco dip. You can leave them out if you’d like to.
- Grape tomatoes – I like to use grape tomatoes because they’re easy to cut and use. Roma tomatoes would also be a good substitute.
- Tortilla chips – Of course you can buy your favorite bag at the grocery store, but if you’re feeling particularly creative, you can make my homemade tortilla chips.
How to Make 7 Layer Dip
Despite having seven layers, this seven layer dip recipe is quite easy to make. Check out the steps for this classic recipe below.
- Refried beans layer. The first layer is a can of refried beans. Spread the refried beans in a 9 inch round pie plate or 8×8 square dish.
- Sour cream layer. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the sour cream, hot sauce and taco seasoning. Mix well and spread evenly on top of the beans beans.
- Enchilada sauce layer. Top with the enchilada sauce, spreading out to the edges.
- Guacamole and toppings. Next, spread the guacamole and top with the shredded cheese, olives, scallions and tomatoes.
- Chill. For best results, cover and refrigerate for 1-2 hours before serving with tortilla chips.
What to Serve with 7 Layer Dip
You can serve this dip with just about anything! If serving for game day, serve with more of your favorite dip recipes. A jalapeno popper dip or crockpot buffalo chicken dip would be great options.
You can also serve it for taco night. Served alongside ground beef tacos, burritos, enchiladas or fajitas would be a huge hit.
We love this tasty appetizer exactly as written, but there are a few ways you can customize it to make it your own.
- Toppings – There are plenty of options for toppings. Green chiles, fresh pico de gallo, or fresh cilantro would all be great additions to this perfect party appetizer.
- Extra layers – If you’d like to add a little more substance to this dip, try adding a tomato layer, a layer of chunky salsa, an extra layer of sour cream or another layer of creamy refried beans.
- Meat – Mix some ground beef with taco seasoning and then add a layer of taco meat. I would add this on top of one of the layers of refried beans.
Storage and Freezing
Storage: If you have leftovers of your 7-layer masterpiece and want to keep it pretty, wrap the dish tightly with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator. You can also put in an airtight container and it will last for 3-4 days.
Freezing: I do not recommend freezing this delicious dip. The avocado layer and vegetables will not thaw very well.
Frequently Asked Questions About 7 Layer Dip
Each recipe might differ slightly, but the order for my 7 layer dip, from bottom to top, is: refried beans, the sour cream and taco seasoning blend, enchilada sauce, guacamole, shredded cheese, then olives, scallions and tomatoes.
Because of the guacamole and sour cream, this 7 layer dip recipe is traditionally served cold.
Sure! I even make my own refried beans. Classic refried beans, made with pinto beans, and refried black beans.
Sure! Add in a cream cheese layer around the beans and enchilada sauce. I recommend allowing it to warm up so you can easily spread it.
More Easy Party Appetizers
with creamy mashed potatoes, shredded cheese, bacon, sour cream and scallions.
Everything you love about loaded mashed potatoes in one bite!
7 Layer Dip
- 1 cup refried beans
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 2 teaspoons taco seasoning
- 1 cup enchilada sauce
- 1 cup guacamole
- 3/4 cup cheddar cheese , shredded
- 1/4 cup sliced olives
- 1 tablespoon scallions , chopped
- 1/4 cup grape tomatoes , quartered
- Tortilla chips
- Spread the refried beans in a 9 inch round pie plate or 8×8 square dish.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the sour cream, hot sauce and taco seasoning. Mix well and spread evenly over the refried beans.
- Top with the enchilada sauce, spreading out to the edges.
- Next, spread the guacamole and top with the shredded cheese, olives, scallions and tomatoes.
- For best results, cover and refrigerate for 1-2 hours before serving with tortilla chips.
- If you've tried this recipe, come back and let us know how it was in the comments or star ratings!
This dish would be absolutely perfect for any party! And I’m sure they would ask for seconds too!
I love 7 layer dip and haven’t had it in a while! Your recipe is perfect and I can’t wait to try it! I’ll be bringing it to my sisters this weekend!
I try so many new recipes that I tend to forget about the classics. Thanks for reminding me with this great recipe for 7 layer dip. I need to make some this weekend!
Love this seven-layer dip! I’m all about snacking so a bowl of this with some crunchy tortilla chips would be perfect for me. I bet this dip would be a hit at any potluck party too!
I tend to always make lots of dips as well. 7 layer dip is definitely a favorite with the refried beans. I’m craving some of this now even though it’s still the morning!