Making homemade enchilada sauce at home might be easier than you think, well at least when you use this method!
Easy Homemade Enchilada Sauce takes only 3 main ingredients a handful of spices you already have in the pantry. Ten minutes later, you have a custom enchilada sauce!
My Easy Homemade Enchilada Sauce has two major benefits. The first, you control the heat to keep it cool for kids or spicy and sweat inducing for adults who like it hot, hot, hot! Secondly, it only takes 10 minutes…. 10 MINUTES!
There are some that would tell me that since I used canned tomato paste, that this isn’t homemade. So maybe we can call it semi-homemade.
Quite frankly, I don’t have time for tomato paste from scratch. I can tell you from experience, making tomato paste is time consuming. Look at the ingredients and make sure it says TOMATOES and use that one. You can even go organic if you it makes you feel better about the whole thing.
After the base of tomato paste, vegetable or chicken broth and flour to thicken it up a little, then comes the seasoning. Four spices you should already have in your pantry: cumin, chile powder, onion powder and garlic powder.
If you want to get all technical on the “homemade front” (haters), I did not make my own spices either. But I guarantee you can find some pretty delicious ones at the grocery store. *Please note sarcasm*
If you like your enchilada sauce hot, add more chile powder or even a dash of cayenne. If you prefer a milder version, cut it in half. The other seasonings won’t impact heat as much.
If you want super smoky homemade enchilada sauce, try blending it in the food processor with one or two ancho chiles in adobo sauce or using ancho chile powder.
Enchilada sauce will stay fresh in an airtight container, refrigerated for up to one week. Use it on enchiladas, tacos, burritos, nachos and more! I’ve even used it in a pinch for chips and salsa. You can even make homemade chips (no, I didn’t make the tortillas)!
After you are done, make one of these fabulous recipes to pair with your homemade enchilada sauce!
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 3 cups low sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Start by making the sauce. Heat olive oil over medium heat in a medium sauce pan. When hot, add tomato paste, flour, 2 teaspoons cumin, garlic powder, onion powder and chili powder. Whisk together until a paste forms.
- Pour vegetable or chicken broth to paste and whisk until smooth. Increase heat and continue to whisk until sauce starts to thicken and provide a little bit of resistance. Season with salt and pepper, bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat as soon as you see bubbles and you are ready to go!
If you've tried this recipe, come back and let us know how it was!