Searching for an easy dip recipe? This Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Dip comes together easily with just a few ingredients. You’re going to love it!
I’ve been making the same Buffalo Chicken Dip in the crock pot recipe for years but never actually put it down on paper. So I’m very excited to be sharing this with you.
What's In This Article
Easy Buffalo Chicken Dip
A Buffalo Chicken Dip recipe is the quintessential appetizer for any party or family gathering. But since we’re not doing that at the moment, I suggest you make this dip for yourself to snack on all week!
Party food really is the best, even without the party. It’s also the best comfort food.
PRO TIP: Make this a low carb snack by serving with carrots, celery and radishes!
One day, we will all be able to gather again and you will be very happy to have perfected this Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Dip recipe during this time.
For now, I’ll be enjoying my Buffalo Chicken Dip alongside a Beyond Meat Burger for dinner. Or maybe even sandwiched between the buns, because WHY NOT?!
There’s so many fun ways to eat Buffalo Chicken Dip aside from eating it in its standard form, dip. Here are a few ideas:
- Buffalo Chicken Sandwich
- Stuffed Peppers
- Add the dip to a bed of fresh greens for a salad
- Make a quinoa bowl out of it with roasted veggies
Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Dip Ingredients
Some might call this a pantry staple recipe, because most of us will already have the majority of these on hand. The ingredients for are quite simple:
- Chicken- For this recipe you have the option of cooking two boneless skinless chicken breast in the slow cooker with broth and onion for flavor. Boneless chicken thigh fillets are a great option too. They are a little smaller, so they might cook faster. Thigh meat is darker and has more flavor. They will easily shred with two forks after cooking. But you do have other options. See my section on the chicken for those ideas and time savers!
- Yellow onion– This helps to season the chicken while cooking. You can also use a white onion. If you decide to use precooked chicken, then omot the onion.
- Broth– This can be chicken bone broth, low sodium chicken broth or low sodium vegetable broth. This won’t be necessary if you opt for precooked chicken.
- Cream cheese– The base of this dip, it adds creamy richness.
- Ranch dressing (or blue cheese)– Either can be creamed together with the cream cheese for flavor. Pick your favorite.
- Hot sauce– My personal preference is Frank’s Red Hot, but use whatever you like. If you want something a little more buttery, add buffalo sauce instead of hot sauce. It literally is laced with butter.
- Sharp cheddar cheese– Use freshly shredded cheese. Pre-shredded cheese is tossed in potato starch which prohibits is from melting well. Feel free to use other cheese in addition to cheddar or all together. Pepper jack, monterey jack, mild cheddar and even Swiss are all good picks.
- Mozzarella cheese– Full and gooey, this gives our slow cooker chicken dip a fun edge that many others don’t boast.
Best Chicken for Buffalo Chicken Dip
You have several options when picking chicken for buffalo chicken dip. If you are using a slow cooker, making your own in a flavorful broth is easy and tasty, but you have other options.
- Canned Chicken- This is probably my least favorite option because the chicken is so highly processed and can be laden with salt and other preservatives. It’s great in a pinch, but not ideal if you are planning ahead.
- Leftover Chicken- This is a great use for leftover chicken and guess what? The dip will have a unique flavor depending on how the chicken was cooked and seasoned. This can be a fun way to customize and have a different type every time you make it. Evenly chop into bite size pieces, or shred, if possible.
- Rotisserie Chicken– This is my favorite option after cooking the chicken myself. The chicken is already seasoned, cooked and easily shredable.
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Dip in the Crock Pot
Buffalo Chicken Dip comes together easily in the slow cooker. Everything cooks while you get other important things done!
- Cook the chicken. Line the bottom of a slow cooker with the sliced onion and broth, place the chicken over the onion and cook on high for 2.5 hours. Skip step #1 & #2 if using pre-cooked chicken.
- Shred the chicken. Transfer the chicken to a plate and shred with two forks. Remove the onion and drain the broth from the slow cooker. Turn it on low and set the timer for 30 minutes.
- Combine. Add the shredded chicken, cream cheese, ranch dressing, hot sauce, cheddar cheese, and mozzarella cheese. Give it a quick stir and allow the mixture to cook.
- Mix it all together. Mix everything together until fully combined – I like to do a quick taste test here, too. Add more hot sauce if you like it spicy or more ranch if you need to cool it down. Let it all cook for 30 minutes, until the cheese has melted.
Tips for making Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Set your cream cheese on the counter to soften for 30-60 minutes so it’s easier to mix in.
- If you really want to kick up the heat in this Buffalo Chicken Dip recipe, add extra hot sauce or grab a ghost pepper hot sauce.
- For extra melty cheese, use thick cut shredded cheese, but shred it yourself. Pre shredded cheese is tossed in starch to prevent clumping and doesn’t melt as well.
What to Dip in Buffalo Chicken Dip
Normally I serve this dip with tortilla chips (always the scoop version), pretzel thins, or pita chips.
You can also use raw veggies like bell peppers, cucumbers, carrots, celery sticks or radishes. Sometimes I serve it alongside my Dill Pickle Dip for vegetarian friends.
Pita chips or pita bread or even white sandwich bread, like a pimento cheese sandwich, are great ways to enjoy this dip.
Can I Make Buffalo Chicken Dip in the Oven?
Rather than cooking the chicken in the slow cooker, you can use canned chicken or a cooked rotisserie chicken from the store.
Mix all the ingredients together in an oven-safe baking dish and bake it for 20-30 minutes at 350°F.
Making it in the crock pot simply saves time by using the same cooking mechanism to cook and shred your chicken as make the dip. It also keeps the dip warm for parties and gatherings.
Best Way to Shred Chicken
I like to cook my chicken in the slow cooker for a few hours until it easily shreds with a fork.
You can also do this in the Instant Pot if you’re pressed for time.
If you’re really feeling lazy, just grab a rotisserie chicken, I won’t tell! Canned chicken also works.
How Do You Store Buffalo Chicken Dip?
Storage: Store any leftover buffalo dip in an airtight container in the refrigerator. This will stay for up to five days.
Reheating: If you want to reheat your leftovers, place them in an oven safe baking dish covered with foil. Bake at 350 F for 10-15 minutes, and give it a good stir halfway through. You can also microwave it, but do it on 50% power for 1 minutes, stirring at 30 seconds.
Can I Freeze Buffalo Chicken Dip?
Freezing: This delicious dip also freezes really well. You can store it in the freezer for up to three months. Just make sure it is cooled completely first.
Thaw it overnight in the refrigerator and then bake in the oven at 350°F until it is heated through.
More Buffalo Chicken Recipes
- Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese
- SPICY Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Buffalo Chicken Pinwheels
- Homemade Buffalo Sauce
- Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Peppers
Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Dip
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 small yellow onion , sliced into 1 inch rounds
- 1/4 cup chicken broth , or chicken bone broth
- 8 ounces cream cheese , sliced into 4 cubes
- 3/4 cup ranch dressing , or creamy blue cheese
- 1/4 cup hot sauce
- 1/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese , shredded
- 1/2 mozzarella cheese ,shredded
- raw veggies , pretzels, or crackers for dipping
- chives for garnish
- Line the bottom of a slow cooker with the sliced onion and broth, place the chicken over the onion and cook on high for 2.5 hours.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate and shred with two forks. Remove the onion and drain the broth from the slow cooker. Turn it on low and set the timer for 30 minutes. Add the shredded chicken, cream cheese, ranch dressing, hot sauce, cheddar cheese, and mozzarella cheese. Give it a quick stir and allow the mixture to cook.
- Mix everything together until fully combined – I like to do a quick taste test here, too. Add more hot sauce if you like it spicy or more ranch if you need to cool it down. Let it all cook for 30 minutes, until the cheese has melted.
- If you've tried this recipe, come back and let us know how it was!
We’ve been enjoying appetizers as our main meal and usually pick a couple. This buffalo chicken dip is super filling all on its own. Glad to have some leftovers.
Oh yes! Until we can share again with friends and family, I’ll keep this all for myself!!
This is such an easy way to prepare dip. The slow cooker keeps it warm, so it is really great.
So good and so easy! This is a hit at our house every time. Love making it for family gatherings too.
This Buffalo Dip sounds so easy. Love the idea that you can make them in slow cooker.