Oh those Cajun turkey people are SMART! There you are trying to figure out what size turkey to buy and there is a pretty display promising you the BEST Cajun turkey you’ve ever tasted with a bottle of turkey injection juice.
This Homemade Turkey Injection Seasoning is super easy, taking only 5 minutes for a flavorful and slightly sweet bird just like the Cajun turkey injector they sell at the store!
They will even pair a bottle of turkey injection juice WITH a “free rub“! Let me tell you a few things about the store bought Turkey Injection Juice:
- It is overpriced. Homemade Turkey Injection Seasoning will cost under $1 and you probably already have the ingredients.
- You will never use that whole bottle and unless you make turkey weekly, you’ll be throwing it out because it expired.
- They taste good because they are full of salt.
- You can make your own in less than 3 minutes, save money and not overdo the salt.
- You can also make your own Fried Turkey.
- Turkey Injection Juice can be modified and flavored however you want, check out my Orange Turkey!
The only special equipment you will need is the injector, but you can buy this bad boy once and use it over and over again with many different recipes. You can literally infuse anything you’d like using the injector.
Chicken, pork … ok, it might be a little hard to inject fish, but you get the point.
Making your own also means you get to customize the flavors and make something special. Add more or less hot sauce, use a broth instead of beer, maybe even take out the honey all together.
Here is the truth time though. Using a turkey injection will never replace the process of brining. We’ve all been
Questions you might have about this homemade turkey injection recipe:
How to Cook a Turkey Injection Seasoning? You don’t have to cook this one! Just whisk it together and you are good to go!
How to Inject a Fried Turkey? Use the injection seasoning right before you lower the bird into the oil and try not to put too much pressure on it. There aren’t any plugs to keep the seasoning locked in. Also, dab up any spots that spilled out and over. The key to a fabulous fried bird is a dry skin.
How long before cooking do you need to inject the turkey? The beauty of using an injection seasoning is that you don’t have to do it in advance. You can inject the bird right before cooking. In fact, I call it the lazy person’s version of brining.
If you are looking for more holiday recipes to accompany your turkey, check these out!
- 12 ounces beer
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 5-6 drops hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
Whisk together all ingredients in a small bowl until combined and smooth.
Inject into turkey before cooking.