Cooked carrots are a typical dish served pretty regularly in people’s homes, so why not switch them up a bit by adding a handful of spices and some fresh herbs! Your whole family will enjoy having some flavor added to these classic family favorite!
Honey Glazed Carrots are a simple dish with only a handful of ingredients. These candied carrots are a classic twist on your typical Honey Glazed Carrots, by having a sweet and smoky flavor!
The traditional, old school, recipe calls for just carrots, water and brown sugar or honey, creating a syrupy glaze that makes adults and children alike devour their vegetables. My version elevates the traditional just a bit.
Basically, I spice my glazed carrots! Paprika, cumin and coriander give a little kick, making them not only sweet, but smoky with definition and flavor.
Salt and lemon accentuate the natural flavors and parsley adds color. Of course, any of these ingredients are easy enough to omit altogether as long as the essentials, honey and carrots, are still there.
I always like taking a traditional dish and seeing what I can add to or take away from the recipe to make it better. These Honey Glazed Carrots don’t get more traditional than most recipes.
I remember as a child growing up, these candied carrots always graced the table for special holidays. That’s what made me want to take this recipe and tweak it to make it more desirable.
They don’t take much to make, and you probably already have all of your ingredients you need in your kitchen. Everything gets put in a pan on the stove and you cook your carrots until you’re left with a delicious, syrupy combination!
While Glazed Carrots usually don tables around the holidays, specifically Christmas and Easter, they are good for any meal throughout the year.
Check out these other easy carrot recipes:
- Tri-Colored Carrots with Herbed Yogurt
- Lonesome Dove Burnt Carrots
- Shaved Zucchini Salad with Lemon-Chive Dressing
Get our FREE 8 Day E-Course on How to Be a Better Home Cook. Sign up HERE!
Honey Glazed Carrots
- Heat 1-2 inches of water in a medium saucepan. When at a low simmer, add carrots.
- Simmer for 5 minutes, or until soft. Drain well and add back to warm saucepan, keeping off heat.
- Add butter, cinnamon, nutmeg, fine sea salt and honey. Mix until coated, serve immediately. The residual heat from the pan should be enough to melt butter and honey, but if now, put on low heat until just combined.
- If you’ve tried this recipe, come back and let us know how it was!