Pinwheel appetizers are some of my favorite appetizers to make for parties because you can make a large amount quickly. I just recently added this BBQ Chicken Pinwheels to my list of go-to appetizers.
BBQ Chicken Pinwheels are a simple puff pastry appetizer, made with chicken, BBQ sauce, mayo and cheese. Easy, cheesy and deliciously flaky, it’ll become one of your go-to pinwheel recipes.
If I’m entertaining at my house, there’s a very high probability that there will be a few pinwheel appetizers to choose from. I’ve been experimenting with pinwheel recipes for a few years now – I started with my much-loved Buffalo Chicken Pinwheels and using other dips, like artichoke spinach dip, for filling.
You can turn pretty much any dip into a puff pastry appetizer but I decided to step up my game by creating a filling just for this BBQ Chicken Pinwheel recipe.
I was able to come up with this delicious combination of two popular game day bites – BBQ chicken and pinwheel appetizers – using just 6 ingredients. Since the puff pastry has a light flavor, a little bit goes a long way when it comes to the BBQ sauce.
Puff pastry appetizers are so easy to make – the basic idea is to just lay out a puff pastry, top it with your favorite dip or filling, roll it up, freeze, and then bake. Easy peasy!
These pinwheel appetizers are basically just portable versions of my favorite appetizers – in this case, BBQ chicken dip. No need to stand around the appetizer table guarding a bag of chips when you can just grab one and go.
Puff pastry pinwheels are basically the grown-up version of tortilla pinwheels – they’re still kid-friendly, especially these BBQ Chicken Pinwheels as there’s no spice, but I’m perfectly comfortable serving them at a holiday party or on game day.
You could even turn them into a midday snack or light lunch.
These BBQ Chicken Pinwheels do need to freeze for one hour before baking so they are not something you want to leave until the last minute. They do taste delicious warm but make sure to let them cool a few minutes before serving so that no one burns their tongue on the cheese!
Since you like these BBQ Chicken Pinwheels, you’ll probably like these other easy pinwheel recipes:
- Buffalo Chicken Pinwheels
- Spinach & Artichoke Pinwheels
- Brie Puff Pastry Pinwheels
- Pumpkin Basil Pinwheels
Tools for making BBQ Chicken Pinwheels:
Insulated Cookie Sheet– Insulated cookie sheets allow hot air to circulate around the entire cookie, resulting in even baking.
Rolling Mat – Don’t mess up your counters with sticky pastry, use a mat for easy clean up!
- 2 sheets puff pastry
- 1 1/2 cups shredded chicken
- 2 tablespoons BBQ sauce
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese , shredded
- 1 egg , lightly beaten
In a medium mixing bowl, combine shredded chicken, BBQ sauce, mayonnaise and shredded cheddar cheese.
- Unroll puff pastry sheet. Spread 1/2 of BBQ chicken mixture on the center of puff pastry, leaving a small, 1/4 inch seam on all edges. Roll sheet up. It does not need to be tight, in fast a little bit of slack allows the puff pastry to cook evenly.
- Repeat with second sheet.
- Wrap both rolls in plastic wrap and place into the freezer for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut each roll into 15 equal slices.
- Lay BBQ chicken pinwheels 2 inches apart and baste lightly with beaten egg mixed with 1 tablespoon water.
- Bake for 14-16 minutes, remove from the oven, carefully flip each pinwheel and return to the oven for 2 minutes.*
- Remove and allow to cool slightly before serving.
- If you've made this recipe, make sure to come back and let us know how it was!