BBQ Bacon Wrapped Meatballs Recipe
Need a tasty treat to feed your hungry football fans? Look no further than these BBQ Bacon Wrapped Meatballs.
My BBQ Bacon Wrapped Meatballs are a little bit of sweet and savory heaven. Serve as an appetizer or a side for the game or any day of the week.
In my house, we love watching football together. I’m a die-hard Broncos fan, while hubby cheers for the Buffalo Bills.
We have lived in Baltimore for a good amount of time and as a result, we both like root for the Ravens as well. But make no mistake, we are still loyal to our respective teams.
And no matter what game is one or what day of the week it is, one thing is absolutely for sure. We need food on the table while we are watching the game and especially if we are entertaining at our house for the game.
While my family tradition involves Chile Relleno Bites and a heaping pile of Neon BBQ Chicken Nachos, I’m always on the lookout for new munchies to break it up a bit. Nothing like spicing up the menu to breathe new life into routine.
One of my favorite things in the colder months is busting out the slow cooker. I love that it is easy and that it fills my house with some downright glorious smells.
If you ask me, there is nothing better than meatballs bubbling in a slow cooker with BBQ sauce or bacon, so why not bring the two together? BBQ Bacon Wrapped Meatballs: ta-da!
Update: my stroke of genius wasn’t exactly working. I tried these bad boys in the slow cooker and the bacon didn’t stay put. So I did the next best thing and decided to throw them in the oven for absolute optimal bite perfection.
You can use frozen meatballs that are pre-made at the store, but the homemade variety always taste just a bit better to me and in reality, they don’t take that much more time to make.
Any meat or meatball recipe will do. You can try playing around with different proteins and mix-ins if you like. I typically like to use some seasoned breadcrumbs, some raw onion, and egg as a binder.
If you want to these BBQ Bacon Wrapped Meatballs up a notch, try adding a pinch of your favorite, melty cheese in the center of each meatball.
Something like Velveeta, pepperjack, or a mild cheddar would be absolutely delicious.
For the bacon, choose what you think would be best. Something that has been cured and smoked is a great choice for this recipe.
If you like this recipe, check out some of my other delicious meatball recipes:
- Grape Jelly Meatballs on the Stove
- Buffalo Chicken Meatballs
- Savory Italian Meatballs
- Cream Cheese Sausage Balls
BBQ Bacon Wrapped Meatballs
- Heat your oven to 350 degrees, line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and lightly coat with cooking spray.
- Mix finely minced onion through evaporated milk in a large mixing bowl and combine using your hands. Do not over mix or your meatballs or else they will turn out tough.
- Tossing from hand to hand, form meatballs into 24 small meatballs.
- Wrap each one with a strip of bacon.
- Place into the oven for 15 minutes. Remove and baste with BBQ sauce. Return to the oven for an additional 10 minutes. Baste again with BBQ sauce before serving. Please note that cooking times will vary with the size of your meatballs, check for an internal temperature of 145 or higher.
- Enjoy your BBQ Bacon Wrapped Meatballs!
- If you’ve tried this recipe, come back and let us know how it was!