Bacon-wrapped appetizers are probably one of my favorite things to serve for football or a party. The combination of chewy, salty, smokey, and sweet in these Brown Sugar Bacon Wrapped Kielbasa Bites is sure to please.
These simple kielbasa and bacon bites are an easy appetizer. What could be better than crispy bacon strips wrapped around juicy sausage, all covered in an incredible, balanced sauce with a hint of sweetness?
The next time you’re looking for a recipe that will wow a crowd, turn to this tasty treat. It’s bound to become one of your favorite appetizers to make for nearly any occasion.
Why You’ll Love Them
If you love finger foods and addictive appetizers, this delicious treat should be on your to-make list. It’s perfect for a party and it’s the ultimate game day food.
- Delicious – There are few dishes as delicious as these bites that combine juicy pork, savory bacon, and a balanced sauce that adds a touch of sweetness.
- Versatile – You can serve these as an appetizer before a main meal, as a spread for football Sunday, or as a side with other dishes.
- Customizable – There are plenty of add-ins or swaps that you can use to make this dish your own.
Simple ingredients that are easy to find at the grocery store are all you need for this easy recipe.
- Dark brown sugar – This adds a sweet molasses flavor to this decadent, and otherwise savory, treat.
- Dijon mustard – Dijon adds earthy flavor that complements the sweetness.
- Apple cider vinegar – ACV brings needed acidity to the sauce.
- Ground black pepper – Black pepper brings a gentle heat to the table.
- Chili powder – This spice adds loads of heat. Adjust to your palate.
- Smoked kielbasa sausage – Cut this sausage into 1-inch pieces before beginning.
- Center-cut slices of bacon – Slice the raw bacon into halves before preparing the recipe. Thick cut bacon is the best variety for this recipe.
How to Make Brown Sugar Bacon Wrapped Kielbasa Bites
These sausage bites are so easy to make and are bound to be a hit.
- Make brown sugar sauce. Combine all ingredients (except kielbasa and bacon) in a small saucepan and simmer.
- Allow to cool. Once the sugar has dissolved and the mixture bubbles, take the pan off the heat and allow the brown sugar mixture to cool.
- Wrap kielbasa in bacon. Wrap each piece of sausage in a half piece of bacon slices. Place the wrapped sausage on the baking sheet prepared with parchment paper or aluminum foil and non-stick cooking spray. Keep it closed with a toothpick, or just place it seam-side down.
- Top with brown sugar sauce. Using a pastry brush, spread the brown sugar glaze over the bacon-wrapped kielbasa.
- Bake. Place the pan in a preheated oven and bake until the bites are dark brown, and the bacon’s edges are crispy.
- Cool and enjoy! After removing the pan from the oven, allow the bites to cool briefly on the baking pan set on a cooling rack before serving.
What to Serve With Bacon-Wrapped Kielbasa
We love making these easy kielbasa bites as an appetizer ahead of serving chili or chicken thighs or alongside baked beans. They’re also an incredible addition to a mouthwatering game day or party spread of other appetizers like fried cheese curds, pizza stuffed peppers, and crab stuffed mushrooms.
You can change up these little bites in lots of ways!
- Pork – Instead of bacon, use prosciutto instead. Or, instead of kielbasa, use Polish sausage or andouille.
- Heat – Add a little heat to the sauce with a dash of hot sauce, red pepper flakes, more chili powder, or cayenne pepper powder, or your own favorite spicy powder or sauce.
- Sweetness – Switch out some or all of the brown sugar for honey, maple syrup, or another preferred sweetener.
- Garlic – Add garlicky flavor with some shakes of garlic powder.
You can easily store leftover kielbasa bites, or those that are made ahead, in the refrigerator.
Make-Ahead: Prepare the kielbasa bites ahead of time through the step of wrapping them with bacon, then brush the sauce on just before baking. Store the made-ahead bacon-wrapped kielbasa in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours.
Refrigerator: Store these bacon-wrapped kielbasa bites in the fridge for 2-3 days in an airtight container.
Common Questions About Brown Sugar Bacon Wrapped Kielbasa
Bacon-wrapped kielbasa is sausage wrapped with bacon and basted with a sweet and savory sauce. It’s then baked to perfection for a crispy exterior with juicy sausage inside.
The best choice is a smoked kielbasa, but you can experiment with other varieties, too.
You can make it in an air fryer. You can also make bacon-wrapped kielbasa in a smoker or on the grill. Or, you can even make these in a regular size crockpot.
More Bacon Wrapped Appetizers
Brown Sugar Bacon Wrapped Kielbasa Bites Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray (if using aluminum foil). Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, whisk together the brown sugar, Dijon mustard, apple cider vinegar, pepper and chili powder, bringing to a simmer. Whisk until smooth and mixture starts to bubble. Be mindful that it could boil over (sugar does this). When sugar is dissolved, remove from the heat.
- On a cutting board or clean work surface, wrap each 1-inch piece of kielbasa in a half slice of bacon, placing seam-side down on the prepared baking sheet.
- Baste the bites with the prepared brown sugar glaze and place into the oven, baking for 40-45 minutes, basting every 10-15 minutes. Remove when bacon edges start to char bites are a deep brown.
- Remove and allow to cool for 10-15 minutes before serving.
- If you’ve tried this recipe, come and let us know how it was in the comments or star ratings.