Apple Monkey Bread is an easy monkey bread recipe that uses canned biscuits, fresh apples, cinnamon and a powdered sugar drizzle. An easy dessert, brunch or breakfast idea!
Apple Monkey Bread is an easy monkey bread with canned biscuits and fresh apples. A winning brunch and breakfast recipe for special occasions.
You can make apple monkey bread from scratch, but why would you when it is so easy to make any pull apart bread recipe with canned biscuits?
While I generally like using a buttery, flaky biscuit, you can even use canned cinnamon rolls for your monkey bread.
Is it a breakfast food? Brunch? Even dessert? Apple Monkey Bread can be whatever you want it to be!
I first learned to make easy monkey bread in middle school back in Texas. It was part of the Home Economics curriculum. The basic version has become part of my family tradition for Thanksgiving and Christmas morning.
The butter, brown sugar and cinnamon drenched bread is usually served as a breakfast for brunch item, but it is sweet enough to be a dessert as well. When fresh apple chunks are added, then a powdered sugar drizzle is also in order.
And the thing that holds it all together is flakey biscuit dough.
You can use your favorite apple flavor. Sweet is great, but a tart apple can do the trick as well.
The lemon juice is used to prevent the apples from turning a nasty shade of brown unless you are using an Envy apple, or something similar, that is immune to oxidation.
While some folks make their easy monkey bread recipes in a loaf pan or even a pie plate, I’ve found that using a bundt pan is the best way to go.
Otherwise the center remains doughy and while I’m all for a little bit of cooked doughy goodness, raw isn’t my favorite. The bundt pan also provides a beautiful centerpiece for serving.
If you like our Apple Monkey Bread, you’ll also like these easy brunch ideas:
- Chile Relleno Casserole
- Bacon, Egg and Cheese Breakfast Bread
- Sausage Crescent Rolls
- Blueberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake
- Corn Flake Breakfast Bars
- Sour Cream Coffee Cake
- Apple Cider Doughnut Cake
Tools for making Apple Monkey Bread:
Bundt Pan– Any shape will do since the biscuit pieces won’t really take on the shape anyhow. The traditional is great but the swirl is also a lot of fun and can be made into fun colored cakes as well.
Kitchen Shears– Sometimes kitchen shears are more efficient than a knife. Jobs like snipping herbs, cutting meats or making your biscuits into fourths are good examples!
Always make sure to hand wash anything with a blade, as the dishwasher will dull the edges.
Apple Monkey Bread
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons milk or water
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place butter in bundt pan and place in the oven while preheating to melt the butter. When melted, swirl around to get all of the nooks and crannies.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss chopped apples with lemon juice. Then add canned biscuit dough, each piece cut into fourths. Toss to combine.
- In a separate small mixing bowl, stir together light brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Remove bundt pan with melted butter from the oven. Add brown sugar mixture.
- Top brown sugar mix with apple and biscuit mixture.
- Bake for 20 mins, or until top is light brown and crispy.
- While still hot and very carefully, fit a serving platter over the top of your cooking vessel and quickly invert. Tap the pie plate or bundt pan several times to the monkey bread loosens, then remove.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together powdered sugar and milk or water until a drizzling consistency. After apple monkey bread has cooled slightly, drizzle with powdered sugar frosting. Serve immediately.
- If you’ve tried this recipe, come back and let me know how it was!