This cowboy chicken recipe is so easy to throw together! Only 10 minutes of your time to toss it in the slow cooker, then the rest of the time you let it cook! The whole family will be asking for this recipe again!
Slow Cooker Cowboy Chicken is an easy chicken recipe your whole family will love! Packed full of corn, potatoes, beans and a zesty taco seasoning!
Is Slow Cooker Cowboy Chicken a stew? A chili perhaps? Maybe you wrap it up like a burrito? Dip it with a tortilla? Pile it onto a bun as a sandwich or top off a hot dog?
It can be all of the above! This recipe is SO versatile, everyone in the family can eat it a different way. Call it whatever you want, it is good stuff!
Slow Cooker Cowboy Chicken follows my strict “set it and forget it 10 minute rule for slow cookers”. We are all busy, which is why slow cookers and crock pots have been the saving grace for busy families over the decades.
But does it really save you any time if you have brown meat and do a lot of chopping, or even check on it throughout the cooking process? No!
Therefore I shy away from slow cooker recipes that take too long. Chicken is ideal for quick crock pot recipes because it takes a while to cook, needs to be cooked all the way through and when cooked slow and low, shreds beautifully.
As long as it is in a tenderizing sauce, it is really difficult to hurt it. So even if the slow cooker ends up going an hour past when it is done, chances are, your Cowboy Chicken will be just fine.
If you like my chicken soft tacos, then you’ll love these other easy crock pot recipes:
- Slow Cooker Beef Stew
- Slow Cooker Cashew Chicken
- Slow Cooker Apple Balsamic Chicken
- Slow Cooker Italian Beef Hoagies
Tools for making Slow Cooker Cowboy Chicken:
Slow Cooker– This is my favorite slow cooker, I like that I can set it for later in the day and it automatically turns off. It also has clasps for the lid so when I travel to parties or potlucks, I can take it with me without channeling my inner MacGyver to make some for the lid.
Instant Pot– I have adapted all of my slow cooker recipes for the Instant Pot, which is my new favorite thing. Just think, all of those slow cooker recipes ready in just 30 minutes! See instructions on how to make it in the Instant Pot in the notes section below the recipe.
Slow Cooker Cowboy Chicken
- 4 chicken breasts boneless, skinless
- 4 tablespoons taco seasoning equal to two packets
- 14 ounces black beans rinsed and drained
- 14 ounces kidney beans rinsed and drained
- 28 ounces whole corn kernels drained
- 14 ounces plain tomato sauce
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes do NOT drain
- 1 cup potatoes diced into 1 inch sections
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- Tortillas sandwich buns, hot dogs, corn fritters
- sour cream optional
- cheddar cheese optional
- Place chicken breasts, taco seasoning, black beans, kidney beans, whole corn kernels, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes potatoes and hot sauce into the slow cooker.
- Set on high for 3 hours or on low for 6 hours on low.
- Remove chicken and shred, then return to the pot. Serve with tortillas.
- If you've tried this recipe, come back to let us know how it was!