The crock pot is great. It saves time, creates tender meats and flavorful meals. The only issue I take with slow cooker meals is that sauces tend to be watery and sometimes need to be over seasoned to make up for lack of evaporation during the cooking process. When I made this Cashew Chicken Recipe, I had to throw a few of my rules and beliefs about slow cookers out the window. I also made this recipe as part of my 30-day recipe challenge with a few blogger friends, make sure to scroll all the way down to see what creations they shared!
First, I generally have a “10 minute, set it and forget it” rule. Meaning that if it takes more than 10 minutes to load everything into the pot, then it defeats the purpose. Secondly, that sauces need to be doctored before serving. Instead of the objective of the slow cooker to be ease, I used it as a tool to braise, essentially.
I typically avoid having to brown or cook meat before adding to the pot, but for this recipe, I breaded and browned chicken bits and then let them stew in the sauce, thickening and building flavor instead of losing. To save time on the day I served Slow Cooker Cashew Chicken, I prepared the chicken and sauce the night before, placing them in separate containers in the refrigerator and popping into the slow cooker 3 hours before I was ready to serve.
Don’t forget to PIN this recipe!
Check out all the other lovely chicken recipes below from bloggers who took part in our 30 Day Chicken Challenge.
- Mini Creamy Chicken Stroganoff Pot Pies by Lovefoodies
- Slow Cooker Chicken Strogranoff by The Kitchen is My Playground
- Slow Cooker Cashew Chicken by Savory Experiments
- Baked Honey Soy Chicken Drumsticks by Culinary Ginger
- Basil, Chicken and Hard Boiled Egg Macaroni Salad by Hot Eats and Cool Reads
- Homestyle Chicken Noodle Soup by Who Needs A Cape?
- Polynesian Chicken Sandwich by Num’s the Word
- Extra Crisp Fried Chicken by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch