Pico de gallo holds a special place in my heart. It is simple to make and I can devour it in a matter of minutes. Nothing says “summer” more than a fresh bowl of pico.
Pico de Gallo, also known as salsa fresca, is made from fresh tomato, onion, cilantro, hot pepper and lime juice. Perfect with tortilla chips!
Many folks beleive that pico de gallo is the same as salsa and while that is technically true and they share the same ingredients base, it is slightly different. Pico de gallo is a type of salsa and generally coarsely chopped and chunky, while salsa is more watery and pulverized.
The base ingredients for pico de gallo include fresh tomatoes, onion, cilantro, hot pepper, such as serrano, jalapeno or habanero, and lime juice. While most traditional salsas don’t include citrus juice and many omit cilantro as well.
Another fun fact about pico de gallo, it translates literally to “beak of rooster”. I’m not going into the specifics of why because they kind of freak me out and I don’t want to turn you off to this delicious condiment, but you can surely Google it on your own!
Pico de Gallo tastes great on a variety of foods, but none more than warm and salty homemade tortilla chips! Also try in a salad, on top of grilled chicken, fish steak or even pork chops. Check out one of my absolute favorites, the Taco Burger with fries and Spicy Ketchup. Yum!
Tools for Pico de Gallo:
- Wood cutting board – wood won’t dull your knives like plastic and if treated properly, has natural antimicrobial properties.
- Good knife – Global is my favorite! They are worth the price, I promise. I am kind of obsessed with them and store them tucked away so no one else can use them. Including hubby. Hands off my good stuff!
- Plastic Storage Containers – you can never have too many!
If you like Pico de Gallo, you’ll also love these other Mexican recipes!
- Chile Relleno Casserole
- Spinach and Black Bean Enchiladas
- Chili Verde
- Red Beef Chili
- Mexican Street Corn
- Mini Mexican Pizzas
- 2 vine ripened tomatoes chopped with seeds removed
- 1/2 white onion diced
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro coarsely chopped
- 1 jalapeno chopped with seeds removed
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
Combine all ingredients in a bowl and toss. Refrigerate until ready to use.
If you've tried this recipe come back and let us know how it was!