Nothing is more American than apple pie… well okay, maybe baseball. Just as American is quick apple CAKE!
Quick Apple Cake is an easy cake that uses crescent rolls and fresh apple slices with butter, cinnamon and nutmeg. Top it off with salted caramel sauce for a decadent treat!
Quick Apple Cake lingers between pie, cake and pastry. Instead of using classic, crumbly pie crust, I used buttery and flaky refrigerated crescent rolls and instead of canned apple filling, fresh cut apples.
I prefer Red Delicious because they bake well and I love the color, but you can use another more tart apple, like Granny Smith.
The beauty of Quick Apple Cake is in the gentle rippled texture resulting from the lack of uniform pieces of croissant dough and apple slices. Those ribbons of buttery goodness don’t need to be packed in tight. In fact, it will cook more evenly when it is loosely put together, allowing the croissant dough to fill out the spaces.
This easy cake recipe comes together in just 15 minutes. Top it off with melted butter spiced with cinnamon and nutmeg for an undeniably good treat.
Right before serving, drizzle salted caramel sauce into all the nooks and crannies. Serve with a heaping scoop of vanilla bean ice cream!
If you like this apple recipe, you’ll love these others!
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cut pieces of parchment paper to line the bottom and sides of a 9-inch spring form pan. Coat spring form pan with cooking spray to help stick the parchment and then coat again.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, toss cut apple slices with brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and lemon juice. Coat well.
- Break refrigerated croissant dough into serrated triangles. Line the exterior of your spring form pan with triangles, matching up edges and pressing into the sides to hold. Then press a layer of apple slices into croissant dough, followed by another lining of croissant dough. Repeat layers of croissant dough and apples until you have filled the whole pan. Do not worry about making it all pack tightly, in fact leaving a little room for expansion is a good idea to ensure the dough cooks all the way through.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until top of quick apple cake is browned.
- Remove and allow to cool. Carefully remove from spring form pan to serving platter.
- When ready to serve, drizzle with caramel and sprinkle with fleur de sel.
If you've tried this recipe, come back and let us know how it was!