These Apple Dumplings are the perfect combination between apples, cinnamon, and sugar, all wrapped up in a perfectly flaky biscuit. They’re the greatest comfort food!
Easy Apple Dumplings can be made for breakfast or as a dessert! Pair your Apple Dumplings Recipe with vanilla ice cream or syrup for a delicious treat!
These are RIDICULOUS!!! I first made them after my husband and I took a last minute weekend trip to Nashville, Tennessee. One of the highlights of our trip was a delightful place called Monell’s.
Tucked into a residential neighborhood off the beaten path, each room of an old house has a large farm table with seating for 10 or more. You are sat “family style” with strangers, forcing you out of your comfort zone.
There is no menu, which is great because you get to try a little bit of everything and experience dishes that would have otherwise been off your radar.
It was a traditional Southern breakfast; soul food, comfort food, DELICIOUS food. My epiphany came when cinnamon apples came into contact with a flaky buttermilk biscuit. Genius!
This apple dumplings version is not from scratch, but it does the trick and accomplishes the same tastes. Sweet, slightly tart apples enveloped in a flaky crust.
They’re so simple to make but they taste so scrumptious! Another fabulous recipe using refrigerated biscuit dough.
As a breakfast item you might want to drizzle a simple mixture of powdered sugar and water over top.
I do suggest to serve immediately after removing from the oven. They will keep in the fridge, but the biscuit will get soggy on the inside from the apple stuffing.
Check out these other easy apple recipes:
Tools for making Easy Apple Dumplings:
Wood cutting board – wood won’t dull your knives like plastic and if treated properly, has natural antimicrobial properties.
Muffin Tin– I really suggest having two muffin tins. It makes life a lot easier than baking in two batches and double the cook time
CONNECT WITH SAVORY EXPERIMENTS!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Youtube
Pinterest | Instagram
Get our FREE 8 Day E-Course on How to Be a Better Home Cook. Sign up HERE!
Easy Apple Dumplings
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Unwrap refrigerated biscuit dough. Spray muffin tin with cooking spray.
- Lengthwise, cut each biscuit in half. Take one biscuit half and flatten it down with your palm. Arrange and press into muffin tin. Continue with 7 other halves. You will have 8 disks of dough remaining for the tops of the biscuits. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, chop up apple pie filling into small pieces.
- Remove the muffin tin. Place a small pad of butter (about 1/4 teaspoon, maybe a little less), a pinch of cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon of brown sugar into the bottom of each biscuit mold. Fill each mold with apple filling. Top each with a small pad of butter (about 1/4 teaspoon, maybe a little less), a pinch of cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon of brown sugar. Ingredients can be mounded. You can gently press them down to flatten out the biscuit in the mold up to the rim.
- Using the remaining biscuit halves, cover each mold and pinch (as best you can) the edges together. Using a sharp knife prick and small hole in the top of each biscuit. Sprinkle with more cinnamon and turbinando sugar.
- Return to the oven at 400 degrees and bake for 12-14 minutes. Biscuits will be lightly browned on top. Allow to cool for 2-3 minutes. Serve immediately. Caution- centers will be hot!
- If you tried this recipe, come back and let us know how they were!