A few years back, and still today, my edible cookie dough remains one of my most popular recipes. I put making a brownie in a mug on my to-do list and four years later I am just getting around to making it.
Looking for something to satisfy those chocolate cravings but don’t want to make a whole pan of brownies? A mug recipe is the answer. Purposely made to be one serving, this brownie mug cake is quick and easy to whip up.
Rather than making a whole batch of regular brownie, this fudgy mug brownie recipe allows you to make a single-serve brownie that is the perfect sweet treat after dinner.
I like a fudgy brownie (versus cake-like) so expect a little gooiness here. It is a cross between a cooked brownie and brownie batter. And top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream? Pure deliciousness and sure to satisfy your brownie craving.
What's In This Article
Brownie in a Mug
The challenge here is that the mixture is cooked and to get the right texture, but not too dry and not too fudgy, you still can’t really use an egg. One yolk or white and it is still too much.
I really took one for the team recipe testing and tasting over 5 mug brownie recipes. Yes, 5.
Some didn’t make enough, others left you wanting more, I didn’t like having to mix the dry ingredients, melt butter in another and then mix. I just wanted to basically have a dump cake in a coffee mug.
Don’t use a standard coffee mug. You’ll want something oversized around 14 or 16 ounce should work.
Also note that that they get super hot in the microwave. Be mindful that if it has metallics on it, it could spark or get even hotter. Stay away from those.
Cooking times are going to vary. I know I’ll get a billion comments about how theirs didn’t cook right so I am going to talk about this issue here and also in the recipe notes.
You can two variables (three if you count altitude): the wattage of your microwave and the shape of your mug. A higher wattage will cook faster. A squattier, wide mug will cook faster.
I recommend testing the time in 10-second increments until you find your sweet spot.
You had no idea there were so many things to consider when making a mug brownie, did you? Now to the fun stuff…
What to mix in! Here are some of my favorite toppings and mix ins. Keep in mind that some of the candies might also require a little longer cook time (only by 15 seconds or so), but they are still quick and easy.
- Peanut butter, butterscotch or chocolate chips
- Caramel sauce or Dulce de leche
- Whipped Cream
- Fresh fruit
- Flakey sea salt
- Fudge Sauce
- Chopped candy
- Vanilla ice cream (any flavor, really)
- White chocolate chips
- Instant espresso or coffee
- Substitute flavored coffee creamer for milk
- Substitute oat or almond milk for milk
These simple ingredients can probably all be found in your pantry the next time your sweet tooth is craving a single serving brownie.
- Flour – I used all purpose flour here. I haven’t tried using a gluten free flour like almond flour, but let me know in the comments if you do.
- Sugar – Just white granulated sugar is all we need here.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder – I always have a container of this in my pantry, and I’m sure you do too. It’s the powdered stuff found in the baking aisle.
- Coarse Kosher Salt – Keep in mind that different salts measure differently, so make sure you’re using the correct salt for this chocolate mug brownie.
- Unsalted butter – If using salted butter, omit the salt from above. Some people substitute this with coconut oil or vegetable oil. I’ve never used olive oil.
- Milk – I prefer to use full fat milk, but you could easily substitute something like coconut milk or almond milk to make this easy mug brownie recipe.
- Vanilla – Vanilla extract helps to round our the flavors and adds a sweet and subtle touch to this microwave brownie.
How to Make a Brownie in a Mug
So here is my version (the BEST version) of a mug brownie.
- Stir together dry ingredients, sugar, flour, cocoa powder and a pinch of salt.
- Add wet ingredients including milk, cubed butter and vanilla extract. Make sure the butter is in small cubes so it melts evenly.
- Stir until all dry mixture is slightly damp. There will clumps of butter.
- Microwave mug brownie for a few seconds, remove and stir well. The butter should be melted.
- Heat for another minute or so on high heat. Check and if center is still wet, heat for 15 second intervals until your brownie in a mug is fully cooked. FULL INSTRUCTIONS WITH TIMES ARE BELOW!
More Dessert Recipes
- Single Serve Peanut Butter
- Single Serve Sugar Cookie Dough
- Edible Cookie Dough
- Chocolate Chip Mug Cookie
- Oreo Mug Brownie
Mug Brownie Recipe
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter , cut into small cubes
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Stir together dry ingredients, sugar, flour, cocoa powder and salt.
- Add milk, cubed butter and vanilla. Make sure the butter is in small cubes so it melts evenly.
- Stir until all dry mixture is slightly damp. There will clumps of butter.
- Heat for 20 seconds on high. Remove and stir well. The butter should be melted.
- Heat for another 1 minute 15 seconds on high heat. Check and if center is still wet, heat for 15 second intervals until it is fully cooked.
- Finish with your favorite toppings.
- If you’ve tried this recipe, come back and let us know how it was in the comments and ratings!
Loved this recipe! Best mug brownie recipe I have tried. Every other recipe online is too dry or not fudgy enough. Did you ever post the vanilla mug cake recipe? Anxiously waiting 🙂
Yay! That is what we love to hear! And thanks for coming back to let us know. It was on my other dessert site, but thank you for reminding me to link it! https://bestdessertrecipes.com/vanilla-mug-cake/
An easy and delicious treat to make for my kids.
I am sure they will love this!
What a great recipe just for me when I need a quick dessert and something to cure a chocolate craving.
Glad you loved it! Happy new year!
i dont usually like to write comments, but i spent SO LONG looking for a mug brownie recipie that wasnt dry and over-cocoa’d, was so good that i made some with my boyfriend and he thought it was great too, and hes picky as hell.
this is amazing! great texture, great ideas, i put some cinnamon and espresso inside of it for some added flavor, 10/10
Thank you! Glad you loved it 🙂
For the last couple months, I’ve been going through mug brownie recipes trying every single highly-rated one and comparing. Yours was quite different mainly because it’s like twice the size of all the others! Most are like 1 Tbsp of this, 2 Tbsp of that, etc. So I was a little shocked when I saw 1/3 cups mentioned! …especially sugar. I was super hesitant putting that much in. o_O
All in all, yours is really good! Great brownie texture and flavor! My only complaint is a silly one: I won’t make it again because it’s not healthy enough. That sounds weird to say because, duh, it’s a brownie. But I just feel so much better about myself if I have an evening snack with only 2 Tbsp of sugar vs. a whole 1/3 cup! 😉
Hi Melinda, this sounds like a fun experiment! I actually tested several vanilla cake mug recipes yesterday that might be a little more up your alley- they’ll be out soon. You are right, my goal here was not to be healthy, but I appriciate your honest feedback. Stay tuned for that mug cake and in the meantime, give our single serve cookie dough a whirl.
The best! I’m addicted.
That is what we like to hear! And thanks so much for coming back to let us know. Keep on enjoyin’!
My mouth is watering. I have to make this tonight!
It’s a perfect Saturday night treat!
Yum! I can’t wait to try this.
This is so great when you are wanting a little something sweet!
This was the perfect dessert for one. Will make again.
Thank you Jessica. I used freshly ground Linseeds
( in my coffee grinder ) cos I’m sticking with my paleo diet and losing weight. It was half plain flour and half linseed flour and since I dont have a microwave I cooked it in a bench top Casera cooker. I melted the butter and added more milk and it was fabulous. God bless. Pixie
Glad you loved it and thanks for those substitutions!
This is just what I need after a long hard day. Sochocolate, and I love it with the vanilla ice cream and caramel.
Was surprised how good this turned out right in the mug!
Glad to hear that!
Quick, easy and super fudgy goodness! Love that I can make this whenever I want.
Easy, delicious and perfect when you need a chocolate hit fast!
I wouldn’t be able to get enough of this! I have everything to make it now and will be making it in a few short hours. I can’t wait!