Grilled Turkey Zucchini Boats Recipe
You should make Grilled Turkey Zucchini Boats because they are fresh, healthy and super easy!
Turkey stuffed zucchini makes the perfect healthy dinner! One of the best zucchini recipes I’ve ever made.
I don’t know about you, but I’m getting a little bored with the usual grilling options and looking for quick and healthy alternatives that also include some sort of vegetable in the mix.
My husband has fond memories of his grandmother serving up ginormous stuffed zucchini in the summer months. Why not take advantage of the summer bounty? Her version was super satisfying and almost always made in the oven.
Despite the main ingredient being a vegetable fresh from the garden, the Italian version isn’t as health conscious as I would like it to be. I wanted to make a version I wouldn’t feel guilty about that was super convenient using TURKEY!
Did you know that turkey contains essential B vitamins, minerals and of course, protein? Zucchini is rich in nutrients, antioxidants and also contributes to good digestive health which I am sure we can all appreciate.
Grilled Turkey Zucchini Boats are also gluten-free and low carb, making them ideal for a variety of lifestyles. They are also eye-catching and sure to please most (if not all) palates in your household.
Who says turkey is only for the month of November? Certainly not me. I love to take advantage of ground turkey year-round. Turkey can also be simple and quick to prepare, making it an “any night” meal.
In terms of the ground turkey, it is just like Thanksgiving. They typically sell it in white meat or dark meat packages. I like the dark meat only because it has more flavor and a touch more fat for moisture. That said, use whatever you and your family will like.
If you don’t have any ground turkey around or aren’t able to find it at the store, try this with ground chicken. Just as protein-dense and equally delicious.
While Grilled Turkey Zucchini Boats only take 30 minutes to prepare from start to finish, they can even be prepared ahead of time and kept in the fridge until you are ready to grill.
I love using the grill whenever we can because it just makes everything taste better, but it isn’t the end all be all for this recipe.
During the winter months, throw them in the oven for 20 minutes at 350 degrees and they will be ready to go!
If you like grilled meals, check out these recipes:
If you liked this Easy Dinner Recipe, snag a copy of my Easy Dinner Recipes Mini-Cookbook. Available here for only $0.99, here is a small collection of time-saving, hearty and satisfying dinners guaranteed to get you in and out in 30 minutes or less!
CONNECT WITH SAVORY EXPERIMENTS!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Youtube
Pinterest | Instagram
Get our FREE 8 Day E-Course on How to Be a Better Home Cook. Sign up HERE!
Grilled Turkey Zucchini Boats
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 4 medium zucchinis
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 13.5 ounces petite diced tomatoes drained
- 1/2 cup sweet onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- Pinch fine sea salt
- Pinch of chili powder optional
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese your choice
- In a large skillet, heat extra virgin olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, garlic and petite tomatoes, stirring frequently until soft and dry.
- Crumble ground turkey, adding it to the pan. Continue to crumble while cooking. Mixture will be dry, but if it starts to stick, add a little more extra virgin olive oil.
- While cooking, split zucchini in half lengthwise. Spoon out center with a spoon or melon baller, you can reserve for salads, dressing or a smoothie or discard.
- Spoon turkey mixture into zucchini boats.
- Heat grill to medium-high heat and oil grates. Carefully set zucchini onto grates use a fish spatula (or other long spatula. Grill for 4-5 minutes, or until zucchini is tender.
- Sprinkle with cheese and close lid with heat off for 1-2 minutes to allow cheese to melt.
- Remove and serve!