If you are like me, sometimes you need a quick fix on a weeknight. This French Onion Chicken Casserole is simple and fast.
French Onion Chicken Casserole is a one-dish meal that blends chicken, green beans, a creamy sauce, and buttery biscuits. It’s 100% delicious!
I associate the sound of that can popping with warm memories of childhood honey and biscuits. While I still love them (especially with Cranberry Syrup), I have also found ways to use them in my savory dishes, especially quick weeknight meals.
Those buttery layers are just so versatile! Now I am craving biscuits…
This time of year I crave warm comfort food and nothing says comfort more than a bowl of French Onion Soup, but on busy weeknights, I just don’t have the time.
So, I converted my favorite cheesy soup into a soul-warming casserole: French Onion Chicken Casserole. See where this is going?
To save on time, I used store-bought rotisserie chicken and caramelized onions I had frozen the month before blended with sour cream, beef bullion, mayonnaise, and cream. Before you ask, yes, there is a difference between sauteed onions and caramelized onions. Click over to find out.
I had a reader ask me “why so many creamy items, why not one?”And the answer was simple, sour cream is dairy and has some substance, mayonnaise is actually egg (and oil), and the cream gives it moisture. It helps bind the ingredients together.
All serve a very intentional purpose in making a creamy, rich dish, but most importantly: simple and ingredients you already have in the pantry.
To top off my French Onion Chicken Casserole, I used traditional Swiss cheese slices and buttery biscuits. All the ingredients in one bite make a blissful and satisfying one-dish meal with little cleanup.
So POP a can of your own and make French Onion Chicken Casserole for dinner tonight! Your family will LOVE it. I promise!
And if you have leftovers and need to freeze them, check out my tips for how to freeze a casserole!
Try some of my other weeknight friendly dishes:
- Easy Orange Chicken
- Instant Pot Spaghetti and Meatballs
- Easy French Dip Sandwich
- Chicken Pot Pie Casserole
Get our FREE 8 Day E-Course on How to Be a Better Home Cook. Sign up HERE!
French Onion Chicken Casserole
- 4 cups cooked chicken shredded or cubed
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons beef bouillon granules*
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage sub rosemary or thyme
- 1-2 cups caramelized onions
- 1 cup French cut green beans
- 6 slices Swiss Cheese
- 1 can Grands biscuits cut into quarters
- Cooking Spray
- Coat an 8×11 or 9×13 dish with cooking spray. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine chicken through rubbed sage. Mix well.
- Fold in French cut greens beans and caramelized onions. Spread mixture evenly into your dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Remove and layer Swiss cheese over hot chicken mixture. Evenly distribute Grands biscuits quarters and return to oven for 10 minutes, or until tops are lightly browned.
- Enjoy your French Onion Chicken Casserole!
- If you’ve tried this recipe, come back and let me know how it was!