Kale. Gosh when did kale get so popular? It is certainly a food trend and here I am jumping on the train with kale salad! This Kale Salad with Lemon Dressing is a refreshing and healthy salad everyone will enjoy!
Kale Salad with Lemon Dressing is tossed with currants, radicchio, walnuts and a lemon dressing. Learn secret tips on making your kale salad silky smooth and how to make kale chips with the leftovers!
Salads don’t have to be boring, check out my 7 tips for exciting salads, including serving yours in a beautiful salad bowl! Another tip: massage your kale! Yep, after tearing, rub those leaves together. You’ll notice the color will deepen and leaves will stop feeling rough and start to become silky.
I know what you’re thinking, massaged kale salad? This has to be a joke right? In all honesty it’s a thing as crazy as it sounds.
When you massage your kale it take it from being bitter and rough and transforms it into something smooth and sweet. Basically you’re rubbing it until it wilts, but in a good way.
Kale is slightly sweet, slightly bitter and a hearty green. It makes a wonderful vibrant and voluminous salad, but also does well in soups and stews, like my Pork Ragu. A year round vegetable, kale is an excellent choice for nutritional reasons as well.
There are a lot of health benefits of kale. The fiber, potassium, vitamin C and B6 found in kale all support heart health. It is also found in many green smoothies for color.
This kale salad is tossed with radicchio, walnuts, sweet dried currants and basil with a basic lemon dressing and shaved cheese. Can you say deliciousness?
On this occasion, I sent hubby to the store, asking him for a “generous” amount of kale. He came back with enough kale to last us a month. Much more than we could every consume before it went bad.
Solution? Kale chips! Easy to make, kale chips hit the spot when you are craving a crunchy and salty treat and don’t want to waste the calories on potato chips.
If you liked this kale salad, check out these other easy salad recipes:
- 4 cups kale stems removed, shredded
- 1 leaves head radicchio core removed,shredded
- 2 tablespoons shredded basil
- Sea Salt and Freshly Cracked Pepper
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup dried currants
- 1/2 cup walnuts , toasted
- 1 cup Pecorino Romano , shaved
- In a large salad bowl toss kale, radicchio and basil. Season dry greens with sea salt and freshly ground pepper. Toss.
- Whisk extra virgin olive oil, fresh lemon juice and lemon zest in a small bowl.
- Toss greens with 1/2 of dressing.
- Add 1/2 cup cheese, currants and walnuts as well as the remaining dressing. Toss again.
- Garnish with remaining 1/2 cup of cheese and enjoy!
If you've tried this recipe, come back and let us know how it was!