An honored Italian tradition, we have an antipasto salad platter for nearly every get-together we have. Now if you aren’t Italian, or maybe even if you are, the Antipasto platter really isn’t much of a traditional salad.
Antipasto Salad Cups are made of chopped salami, prosciutto, sopressata, mozzarella cheese, peppadews and artichokes. The best way to eat salad with your fingers!
Instead of a bed of leafy greens, like a pile of cured meats studded with the occasional pickled vegetable. Delicious!
Antipasto salad literally means “before the pasta” although it isn’t always served with pasta, just like it really isn’t a salad. And in our home, the leafy green salad complete with a Garlic Balsamic Dressing or Creamy Italian, actually comes after the main course and before dessert, presumably Tiramisu.
Although I love the cherished array of charcuterie and veggies, I wanted to find a new way to present and eat antipasto salad. The chance presented itself after hubby came home with Puff Pastry Shells instead of Puff Pastry Sheets (for Citrus Sausage Tartlets). I had to use them and came up this idea.
I call this recipe Antipasto Salad Cups, but the truth is that the vessels you are looking for in the frozen food aisle are actually “shells”. If you buy cups, great, they are much smaller and bite-sized, perfect for things like Chocolate Mousse, but not big enough to fill with a good array of chopped antipasto.
Check out some of my other favorite Italian Dishes!
- Bolognese Sauce
- Best Italian Meatballs
- Lemony Artichoke Pesto
- Creamy Vodka Sauce
- 30 Minute Marinara
- Veal Ragu
- 12 frozen puff pastry shells
- 2 ounces genoa salame chopped
- 2 ounces prosciutto chopped
- 2 ounces sopressata chopped
- 2 ounces mozzarella cheese diced
- 4 peppadews minced
- 1/2 cup marinated artichokes drained and chopped
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- Prepare frozen puff pastry shells according to package directions. Allow to cool.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a medium mixing bowl. Spoon mixture into each cup.
- Enjoy your Antipasto Salad Cups!