Dark pasta and a white plate give Squid Ink Pasta with White Wine Cream Sauce a “black tie” effect.
Squid Ink Pasta with White Wine Cream Sauce Recipe is an elegant dish that is easy to prepare using squid ink spaghetti. Wow, your diners with this striking dish!
Let’s talk about the elephant in the room. Yes, this is black pasta.
Take a moment. Let it sink in. Squid ink pasta gets its color from the ink of a squid. People will even use the ink of a cuttlefish which is in the same family.
After accepting the color, you will naturally think to yourself, “What does squid ink pasta taste like”?
It tastes just like the pasta you know and love, only this version has a little bit of a briny bite. Just a little extra salt. No “fishy” taste here. The same as if pasta was boiled in really salty water.
You’ll see most black pasta in the form of squid ink spaghetti and sometimes artfully lined on ravioli and even other shapes. It can be hard to find, so I usually just grab mine from an Italian market/speciality shop or order it online.
The key to making squid ink pasta really sing is pairing it with the right sauce and squid ink pasta recipes can be hard to find! It shouldn’t be too heavy, too salty, or too dark in color. A white wine sauce thickened ever so slightly with cream is the best in my books. Give it a “tuxedo” effect.
You wouldn’t want to cover up that beautiful black pasta with a rich, tomato-based sauce, would you? Nope. Squid Ink Pasta with White Wine Cream sauce clings well to the spaghetti shape, but it will work well with other pasta shapes too.
In terms of protein, it is a bit of a no-brainer. Seafood is the perfect match. I prefer dry sea scallops and large shrimp, but you can certainly substitute chicken, beef or another seafood.
If you loved my Squid Ink Pasta with White Wine Cream Sauce, try some of these other amazing pasta recipes:
If you liked this Easy Dinner Recipe, snag a copy of my Easy Dinner Recipes Mini-Cookbook. Available here for only $0.99, here is a small collection of time-saving, hearty and satisfying dinners guaranteed to get you in and out in 30 minutes or less!
Squid Ink Pasta with White Wine Cream Sauce Recipe is an elegant dish that is easy to prepare. Wow, your diners with this striking dish.
- 8 ounces squid ink spaghetti
- 8 large dry scallops muscle removed and patted dry
- 8 jumbo shrimp patted dry
- 1 large shallot minced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 8 tablespoons butter divided
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese finely grated
- 2 tablespoons parsley roughly chopped
- Fine sea salt & pepper
- Shaved Parmesan cheese for garnish
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes halved
Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil. Add pasta and cook according to pasta directions. No need to add extra salt, as this pasta has a salty taste. Drain and return to the pot, tossing with 2 tablespoons butter to coat the pasta and prevent it from sticking.
- While the pasta cooks, heat a large skillet to medium-high heat. When hot, add 4 tablespoons butter.
- Add scallops, searing on each side for 2 minutes. Remove and set aside. Add shrimp, cooking until pink and slightly curled. Remove and set aside.
- Add remaining butter, shallots, and garlic, stirring for 2 minutes. Add flour, scraping up butter and bits to a paste.
- While stirring, pour in white wine to deglaze the pan. Bring to a boil, reducing slightly.
- Stir in lemon zest, heavy cream, crushed red pepper, Parmesan cheese, and parsley. Season with fine sea salt and pepper. Return seafood to the pan, spooning sauce over to reheat for approximately 2-3 minutes. The sauce should be a loose, creamy sauce, but not heavy.
- Divide squid ink spaghetti and seafood between bowls, spooning sauce over top. Garnish with shaved Parmesan cheese and grape tomatoes.