They only take 7 ingredients and 15 minutes of prep! Making these Citrus Sausage Cups the perfect holiday appetizer!
Citrus Sausage Cups are an easy appetizer using smoky andouille sausage, orange zest, sweet onion and fresh thyme in a puff pastry cup.
The holidays are coming again and with them, loads of parties. I tire of bringing the same old thing, I mean how many cocktail meatballs and spinach dips can you eat? Don’t get me wrong, I love both, but there is nothing worse than setting your dish down and being the 3rd of the same kind.
I prefer to bring small bite, single size serving items and so anything I can fit into a mini muffin tin works perfectly. They typically don’t require utensils and look pretty.
This year it was a play on a recipe I had long ago using kielbasa and orange marmalade, instead I used smoky andouille sausage and fresh orange. What seems like an unlikely combination actually complement each other perfectly.
And what herb fits perfectly? Thyme, of course! Stuff it all in a pastry puff shell and you have Citrus Sausage Cups! A unique, but easy appetizer for a party.
Puff pastry sheets are one of those things I always have in my freezer. Any old mundane ingredient turns into a work of culinary hopitication when wrapped in puff pastry.
Do look for puff pastry that has an all butter base versus shortening. I feel like the ones with shortening have a funny aftertaste, but maybe it’s just me.
If you liked this puff pastry appetizer recipe, check out these other easy recipes that use andouille sausage:
If you are looking for even more fabulous appetizers, snag a copy of my Easy Appetizers Beyond Dips Mini-Cookbook. Available here for only $0.99, one of these fun and festive appetizers sure to be the hit of any gathering!
- 2 sheets puff pastry defrosted, one box
- 8 ounces andouille sausage links fully cooked, diced into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 sweet onion minced
- Zest of one orange
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 tablespoons thyme finely chopped, divided
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Coat 2 mini muffin tins with cooking spray.
- Carefully unfold each puff pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface.
- Cut each sheet into 12 equal squares. Press each square into the tins of 2 mini muffin pans.
- In a medium bowl, mix sausage through sea salt and 1 tablespoon minced thyme. Allow to sit for 5 minutes.
- Spoon sausage into each cup, filling to the brim.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes or until edges or golden brown.
- Remove and sprinkle with fresh remaining minced thyme. Serve hot and enjoy your Citrus Sausage Tartlets!
If you've tried this recipe, come back and let us know how it was!