Chocolate Mousse Pastry Cups are a simple and easy dessert recipe perfect for making ahead. Ideal for dinner parties, birthday treats and Valentine’s day dessert!
Chocolate Mousse Pastry Cups were a happy accident. I never intended to make them, but hate having any food go to waste. I was actually trying to make and photograph my Antipasto Salad Cups and has sent hubby to the store with a list.
Like several other happy accidents (read why I made Mashed Potato Cups), hubby is to blame… or to thank depending on how you see it. Actually this one was my fault. I sent him to the store with a list, one of the items being Puff Pastry Cups. He got Puff Pastry Cups, but apparently cups are the tiny, bite-sized ones and shells are the large, multiple bite puff pastry products.
I hadn’t worked with puff pastry in a while, so I took them out of the box, thinking they would bake up bigger. Well, they didn’t. And they were large enough to fit my chopped up antipasto. So I needed something else to make, fast and with ingredients already in my kitchen.
Turns out I had some raspberries leftover from making fresh raspberry sauce and cream from paprika chicken. And now we had a whole new dessert: Chocolate Mousse Pastry Cups! Simple, tasty and super easy to make, they became my new go-to for every event. Book club, yes! Valentine’s Day treats, yes! Dinner party, yes!
Make sure to PIN Chocolate Mousse Pastry Cups!
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ounces semi-sweet chocolate melted
- 12 puff pastry cups (the small, bite size ones) bake and cool according to package directions
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with whisk attachment in a medium mixing bowl with electric hand mixer, beat heavy cream with powdered sugar and vanilla. Whip until stiff peaks form.
- Fold in melted chocolate quickly so it doesn't solidify or ruin the consistency of your whipped cream.
- Spoon or pipe mousse into cooled puff pastry cups.
- Garnish with fresh fruit, additional powdered sugar and/or mint leaves.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Leave us a comment, they make us happy!
And more Valentine’s Day goodies: