Cheesy Chicken Casserole is an easy one dish dinner recipe that the whole family will love. Pasta, chicken, vegetables and cheese with a just a little crunch from bread crumbs, it is easy to prepare and easy to clean up!
What's In This Article
Cheesy Chicken Casserole is an easy casserole recipe perfect for feeding a large family on a budget. Chicken, cheese, pasta and vegetables- delicious!
My husband makes fun of me because I don’t like to mix my foods. As a child I was scolded for eating one food at a time in its entirety, counterclockwise.
It is safe to say I am type A and have a “system” that should not be messed with for just about… well everything.
I would have been well served to have a sectioned plate with every meal, you know the ones you got in the cafeteria. I was also anti-cafeteria food, by the way.
With age I have started to try new things… so as I approach 40, I’m trying to mix my food. Let me tell you, mixing isn’t that bad! Especially when it comes to my Cheesy Chicken Casserole!
While casseroles have me thinking about unidentifiable food or “cream of something” soup, I like to think of my Cheesy Chicken Casserole as macaroni and cheese, elevated.
A one-dish meal cooked in a casserole dish that you will want over and over again. Listed in the recipe are the vegetables that I use and love, but you can omit or add anything you choose.
Please mind cooking times and veggies that need to be cooked longer as they won’t get enough time when they are packed in between cheese and pasta. I like to serve mine with a leafy green salad and Garlic Balsamic Dressing.
Cheesy Chicken Casserole can be made ahead and tastes even better by day #2 in the fridge. I even make a large batch as meal prep and bring it for lunch every day! You can even freeze the casserole, too!
You’ll also love these other easy casserole dishes!
- Chile Relleno Casserole
- Pesto Pasta Bake
- Fancy Tuna Noodle Casserole
- French Onion Chicken Casserole
- Ham and Cheese Casserole
- Hash Brown Casserole
Tools you will need for making Cheesy Chicken Casserole:
Large Casserole Dish– This is good for so much more than just casseroles! Use it for marinating, lasagnas, storage and even for transit.
Wood cutting board – wood won’t dull your knives like plastic and if treated properly, has natural antimicrobial properties.
Good knife – Global is my favorite! They are worth the price, I promise. I am kind of obsessed with them and store them tucked away so no one else can use them. Including hubby. Hands off my good stuff!
Cheesy Chicken Casserole Recipe
- 3 cups shredded cheese*
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes , optional
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2-3 cups bow tie or shells pasta , cooked al dente and drained
- 1 1/2 cups chicken** , cooked
- 1 1/2 cups fresh broccoli florets only
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms , sliced
- 1/2 cup bacon , cooked til crispy and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes , diced
- 1/2 cup Italian style bread crumbs
- Cooking Spray
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and spray a large casserole or baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the shredded cheese, heavy cream, sour cream, Italian seasoning, salt, crushed red pepper flakes and black pepper.
- Fold in the pasta, chicken, broccoli, mushrooms, bacon and sun dried tomatoes until fully coated. Transfer to the prepared baking dish.
- Top the casserole with bread crumbs.
- Bake uncovered for 25-30 minutes or until top is golden brown and bubbly. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving.
- If you've tried this recipe, make sure to come back and let us know how it was in the comments or star ratings!