Watermelon Shrimp Kabobs combine grilled shrimp with grilled watermelon with a sweet balsamic reduction and zesty lime. A healthy kabob recipe on the grill.
Watermelon Shrimp Kabobs take two of my most favorite things on the grill, watermelon and shrimp, and combine them into one! Use an easy grilled shrimp marinade, thread them with lush watermelon and zucchini, grill and top with a sweet balsamic reduction, extra virgin olive oil and fresh lime spritz.
I always struggle with naming my recipes. There is so much in a name! Mainly for this one it was grilled shrimp kabobs or grilled shrimp skewers. Kabobs won out, but mostly because I did some research on the history of the kabob, which I found fascinating. I won’t repost it all here, but if you want some kabob trivia to discuss over your meal, read all about it in my Spicy Honey Vegetable Kabobs!
Hubby and I just love grilled watermelon. I generally make it with a balsamic reduction as well, feta cheese and sometimes some cool, salty prosciutto. While unexpected, guests rave over how it caramelizes for an easy grilled side dish. Which got me thinking, what else can incorporate with grilled watermelon? Shrimp kabobs, of course!
I used a simple grilled shrimp marinade of bottled Italian dressing for just 30 minutes. Shrimp don’t need to marinate long. Their tender skin and small stature make them the ideal food for quickly picking up flavors. I wanted another texture, but also another color on my kabobs and zucchini was the obvious choice since everyone’s summer gardens seem to be filled to the brim.
If you are using wooden skewers, make sure to soak hem for a good long time before threading them. Sometimes vegetables and seafood tend to spin around on the skewer, you can prevent this by using the double skewer method, using two skewers to anchor your food or using metal skewers with a swirl pattern or that are flat that prevents this from happening. If you don’t want to mesh around with skewers at all, just get a grill basket. These things are fabulous for any grilled vegetable. I do my Grilled Potatoes in them a lot.
I like to serve my Watermelon Shrimp Kabobs over a bed of rice, but you can nix that if you are going low carb. They are also tasty over a bed of fresh greens!
If you are looking for more easy grill recipes, here are a few!
- Grilled Shrimp – Thai Style
- Grilled Turkey Zucchini Boats
- Grilled Avocados
- Honey Steak
- Grilled Lobster Tails
- Lemon Chicken
- In a large airtight plastic bag, combine peeled shrimp and Italian dressing. Massage well, set aside. Meanwhile, soak wooden skewers, if using them.
- After 30 minutes thread marinated shrimp, cubed watermelon and zucchini onto skewers.
- Heat grill to medium-high heat. Prep with cooking spray or rub grates with vegetable oil.
- Grill on indirect heat for 10-15 minutes. This will depend on the size of shrimp you are using. Wait for them to be pink and start to curl.
- Remove and drizzle with balsamic reduction, extra virgin olive oil and spritz with fresh lime juice.