Looking for an easy, but tasty one-pot meal for those busy weeknights? Creamy Tortellini and Ham is your answer!
Creamy Tortellini and Ham uses an easy alfredo sauce recipe with cubed ham, peas, broccoli and seasonings to make a 20 minute one-pot meal!
This easy tortellini recipe dates back to my college days. I used to head to the store, buy 2 packets of powdered Alfredo mix, a box of tortellini, frozen veggies, a block of Oscar Mayer honey ham and the no-refrigeration needed Parmesan cheese shaker. The thought now makes me shiver.
My tastes have matured a bit, but the dish remains one of my favorites. Now days I make my Alfredo from scratch, seeing that it takes the same amount of time to use whole ingredients as it does to whisk milk with a cheese flavored powdered.
The ham I get from the meat department, realizing that it is much cheaper to buy a hunk of meat and then freeze the rest than to buy processed deli meat. Sometimes I use leftover ham from other various recipes like Peach and Riesling Ham. Even though the ham is seasoned, it only adds to the dish.
I still use frozen veggies, since they are so convenient and still hold nutritional value, but I do opt for freshly grated Parmesan cheese. Creamy Tortellini and Ham comes together in just 20 minutes, making it ideal for quick weeknight meals.
I prefer fresh tortellini, but I recognize it costs a little more. You can still use the dried variety and have a quality dish. The type of tortellini is up to you. Since I already use ham, I prefer cheese or spinach tortellini. It also makes me feel like I am sneaking in additional veggies (the spinach type).
If you want to use a beef tortellini, you can omit the ham or substitute with cooked shrimp, chicken or even turkey. The protein isn’t the important part, it is the sauce and seasonings. Roasted red peppers, mushrooms and onion are also good choices to add in more veggies.
I usually make a little extra so I have leftovers to take for lunch, but if you are feeding a crowd, this recipe is perfect! All you need is a large Dutch oven and you are ready to rock and roll!
If you enjoyed this easy one pot meal, check these out!
If you liked this Easy Dinner Recipe, snag a copy of my Easy Dinner Recipes Mini-Cookbook. Available here for only $0.99, here is a small collection of time-saving, hearty and satisfying dinners guaranteed to get you in and out in 30 minutes or less!
- 20 ounce fresh tortellini
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese plus additional for garnishing
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper optional
- 1 cup cubed ham
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- Boil water in a large pot or Dutch oven. Salt well (pasta water should be as salty as sea water). Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain well and set aside.
- In the same pot over medium heat, melt butter and add garlic, stirring until soft.
- Add cream and whisk in Parmesan cheese, fine sea salt, freshly ground black pepper and crushed red pepper. Continue simmer until mixture thickens.
- Toss in frozen peas, ham and broccoli. Stir until warm, approximately 3-4 minutes.
- Add tortellini, tossing to coat. This process is fast, so the pasta should still be warm.
- Spoon into dishes and serve with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
If you've tried this recipe, come back and let us know how it was!