Picture this, it’s a cold winter day and you feel like eating something that’s going to not only satisfy your hunger but also warm you up. Well I have the answer to all your problems, Short Rib Soup!
The perfect savory combination everyone will love!
Short Rib Soup is a hearty and comforting soup perfect for winter time meals. Serve with a loaf of crusty bread and a side salad for the perfect meal!
I’ve been obsessed with short ribs lately. This typically cheap cut of meat when seasoned and cooked properly turns into a fork tender cut that will literally melt in your mouth.
My mother had told me about this Short Rib Soup she had made on several occasions with rave reviews, so I had to try it myself and I had to agree, Short Rib Soup is pretty darn tasty!
What are beef short ribs? Short ribs are pretty much self explanatory from their name, they’re the shorter section of the rib bone covered in different thicknesses of meat.
The cut of beef is usually from the brisket, chuck, plate, or rib. You’ll find short ribs more commonly in Chinese, Korean, and Jewish cooking.
Which takes us to the next most important question, how to cook short ribs? The first step is to make sure your short ribs are dabbed dry with a paper towel so you get all the moisture off.
Next all you have to do is lightly season them with salt and pepper and toss them in the pan to brown. That’s it!
Short Rib Soup is a hearty soup that could easily be a main entree or an appetizer, make sure you serve it with a hearty loaf of bread or Sweet Potato Cornbread to soak up all of the zesty goodness. I also served mine with a leafy green side salad.
Short Rib Soup also freezes well in an airtight container, so make a double batch for a second full meal!
More easy soup recipes:
- Instant Pot Panera Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- Asparagus Soup
- Leftover Corned Beef and Cabbage Soup
- Spicy Crab and Sausage Soup
- Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup
- Cream of Asparagus Soup
- Cheeseburger Soup
- Black Bean Soup
- Sausage Tortellini Soup
CONNECT WITH SAVORY EXPERIMENTS!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Youtube
Pinterest | Instagram
Get our FREE 8 Day E-Course on How to Be a Better Home Cook. Sign up HERE!
Short Rib Soup
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3-3.5 pounds boneless beef short ribs
- 1 large yellow onion coarsely chopped
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 2 medium carrots sliced
- 4 ounces diced green chiles
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 30 ounces white beans Great Northern or pinto beans
- 3 1/2 cups beef broth
- 4.5 ounces Mexican-style stewed tomatoes diced
- Heat olive oil in a large Dutch oven, over medium heat.
- Dry short ribs with paper towels, making sure they are very dry. Season lightly with fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Brown in three batches, making sure to not crowd the pan. Brown on all sides, removing to a plate. Repeat with all three batches. Allow to cool slightly and then shred using two forks.
- Add onions, celery and carrots to Dutch oven and allow them to soften, approximately 1 to 2 minutes. If bottom is dry, add an additional 1 tablespoon olive oil to prevent sticking.
- Add diced green chilies, chili powder, beans and broth to the mixture and allow to simmer covered for 30 minutes.
- Stir occasionally and add the tomatoes and shredded beef after first 30 minutes.
- Continue to simmer for another 90 minutes.
- Serve in large soup bowls with hearty, crusty bread.