This Spicy Crab and Sausage Soup recipe is the ultimate comfort food! Loaded with so many delicious flavors, you won’t be disappointed with how amazing this soup turns out!
Spicy Crab and Sausage Soup is a quick, easy and flavorful appetizer or dinner recipe! Packed full of vegetables, sausage and crab, you can’t go wrong!
Are you ready for a fall comfort soup full of vegetables and flavor? Then you are ready for winter sausage soup!
There is nothing better than a piping hot bowl of vegetables, sausage and crab on a Sunday evening. Football on TV, the weather just perfect for the windows open and spending time with hubby. Can’t every day be a lazy Sunday?
Being a Marylander, we eat Maryland Crab Soup all the time, but I came across the addition of sausage in my newest cookbook: Maryland’s Chesapeake: How the Bay and its Bounty Shaped a Cuisine.
I am a lover and collector of cookbooks, firmly believing that a good home chef goes far beyond being able to follow a recipe.
It is being educated about your food. Knowing its history, where it comes from and the chemistry behind its kitchen preparation.
My new favorite cookbook also happens to be authored by two of my local foodie friends, Kathy Wielech Patterson and Neal Patterson.
Maryland’s Chesapeake: How the Bay and its Bounty Shaped a Cuisine is one of the rare cookbooks that not only provides regionally authentic recipes from local chefs, but also background.
Have you ever wondered why the Maryland blue crab is blue? Or how to make an authentic crab cake (I’ll tell you now, most are not). What is the difference between a hard shell crab and soft shell crab?
Talk about great dinner conversation with the family. Beautiful photos and a wealth of information, this is now my bedtime reading book!
On this evening I needed something easy and sausage lentil soup was right up that alley. Two types of onions, spicy chorizo, loads of vegetables, buttery crab and a tomato base, this soup is the bee’s knees!
I used a chicken sausage (but if you prefer, you could make this a pork sausage soup,) and also omitted lima beans or edamame, but only because I forgot them at the store. I just added extra of the other veggies.
Also make sure to check out more recipes like the famed Smith Island Cake, Maryland Beaten Biscuits and Chicken Chesapeake, all found in Maryland’s Chesapeake: How the Bay and its Bounty Shaped a Cuisine. Makes a great holiday gift!
If you’re looking for more sausage recipes, these are some of my favorite:
- Italian Sausage Meatloaf
- Sausage Stuffed Peppers Recipe
- Sausage Roll Ups with Crescent Rolls
- Sausage Egg Potato Skillet
If you enjoyed this smoked sausage soup recipe, check out these other easy soup recipes:
- Instant Pot Panera Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- Asparagus Soup
- Leftover Cabbage Soup Recipe
- Turkey and Noodles Soup Recipe
- Cheeseburger Soup with Lettuce and Tomato
- Roasted Red Pepper Chicken Soup
- French Onion Soup Mix
- Creamy Sausage Tortellini Soup
- Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
CONNECT WITH SAVORY EXPERIMENTS!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Youtube
Pinterest | Instagram
Get our FREE 8 Day E-Course on How to Be a Better Home Cook. Sign up HERE!
This spicy crab soup has become one of our favorites. We make it as a quick weeknight meal, but also for parties.
Spicy Crab and Sausage Soup
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 1 bunch scallions whites and greens, chopped
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 links chorizo casings removed, thinly sliced
- 2 15-ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon crab spice like Old Bay
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper finely ground
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Pinch cayenne
- 1 cup corn kernels frozen or fresh
- 1 cup peas frozen or fresh
- 1 cup lima beans or edamame frozen
- 1 cup green beans frozen
- 1 pound blue crab meat body and claw, picked over for shells
- In a Dutch oven or large enamel pot, heat extra virgin olive oil. Add chopped yellow onion and scallions, soften for 2-3 minutes.
- Add chorizo, casings removed and cut into slices. Cook for 8-10 minutes or until cooked.
- Stir in cans of diced tomatoes, liquid included. Add an additional two cans of water. Stir and bring to a low simmer.
- Simmer for 20 minutes, then add all seasonings and vegetables. Continue to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Right before serving, add blue crab meat.
- If you’ve tried this recipe, come back and let us know how it was!