How did Monday come around again so darn fast? I swear weekends speed by like a bullet train and weekdays just seem to drag on without end.
Okay, I am being dramatic, but sometimes weeknight dinners can be a challenge. This recipe does not fall into that category.
Creamy Cajun Pasta is seriously AH-MAZING and only takes 20 minutes! Rotini is covered in a cream sauce with cajun seasoning, smoky andouille sausage, sautéed peppers, red onion, and grape tomatoes.
I’m making my weeknight menu and need a few quick and easy dinner ideas to get us through the week in one piece.
Quick Creamy Cajun Pasta was one of those recipes that quickly became one of our favorite weeknight meals and I’m sure it will be one of yours in no time too!
Pasta and smoked sausage really are the way to start a quick dinner. The meat is already cooked and full of flavor and the pasta is ready in no time flat. You are really only putting a little elbow grease into the veggies.
The holy trinity is a trio of ingredients used to make many classic Cajun dishes. It is comprised of onions, green bell peppers, and celery. I took two of the three for this pasta, but you could certainly add celery if you have it in the fridge.
Should you have other odds and ends in your crisper drawer that you think would go well with the onions and bell peppers, go ahead and add them!
Creamy Cajun Pasta only uses a small amount of heavy cream, which is something that is generally always in my fridge as I am a coffee drinker. If it isn’t something you have, you could swap it for some sour cream.
The spices are delicious and provide a sweet heat, as does the sausage, that gives you a pleasant heat without making you sweat. If you are in the camp that likes to turn the heat, adjust as you see fit.
Hubby loves things super spicy, so I usually let him add crushed red pepper to his bowl after I have dished it up. Sometimes I add a touch of parmesan cheese.
This recipe is great because you can make it in large batches and then freeze them in smaller containers for lunch next week. It is substantial enough to keep me full without being too heavy.
Creamy Cajun Pasta only takes 20 minutes to prepare, so it is the ideal weeknight meal. Smoky andouille sausage with colorful veggies and a decadent Cajun cream sauce make this flavorful and speedy super-dinner!
Substitute another sausage, chicken, or shrimp to cater to your family’s taste. And if you don’t have rotini or can’t find it, try it with linguine.
More Pasta Recipes!
Get our FREE 8 Day E-Course on How to Be a Better Home Cook. Sign up HERE!
Creamy Cajun Pasta
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small green bell pepper chopped
- 1 small red onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves thinly sliced
- 4 links andouille sausage cooked and thinly sliced
- 1 cube chicken bullion
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon Cajun or Creole seasoning
- 4 cups San Giorgio® rotini pasta cooked*
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 8 ounces grape tomato halved
- Melt butter in a large frying pan. Add green bell pepper, red onion and garlic. Saute for 3-4 minutes, or until vegetables start to soften.
- In a bowl or measuring cup, combine chicken bullion with water, whisk until dissolved (or close to). Whisk in flour.
- Add andouille sausage and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Pour in water mixture, it will get thick fast. Add Cajun seasoning and stir until mixed. Add cream until smooth.
- Toss with Rotini pasta and serve. Enjoy your Creamy Cajun Pasta!