Stained Glass Cookies are the perfect sweet treat for Valentines Day! A delicious sugar cookie sandwich with strawberry jam in the middle!
Valentine’s Day Facts:
- The origin of Valentine’s Day is still debatable, there are two theories. The first is that the day derives from Lupercalia, a raucous Roman festival on February 15 where men stripped naked and spanked young maidens in hopes of upping their fertility. The second theory is that while the Roman Emperor Claudius II was trying to bolster his army, he forbade young men to marry (apparently single men make better soldiers). In the spirit of love, St. Valentine defied the ban and performed secret marriages. For his disobedience, Valentine was executed on February 14.
- There are 36 million heart shape boxes of chocolates sold for Valentine’s Day annually.
- On average, men spend double the amount of money on Valentine’s Day gifts than women spend, which is $130.
- There are approximately 8 billion candy hearts manufactured for the holiday.
- There are approximately 50 million roses given on Valentine’s Day.
- The phrase to “wear your heart on your sleeve” began in the middle ages when young people would draw the name of their valentine from a bowl. They had to wear the name on their sleeve for one week.
- Hopeless romantics send 1,000+ letters addressed to Juliet to the city of Verona, Italy every year on this date.
- Approximately 9 million people buy their pets a gift on Valentine’s Day.
- During the middle ages, superstition said that if you were single, you would end up marrying the first single person of the opposite sex that you met on Valentine’s Day.
If you loved these jam cookies, check out these other easy cookie recipes:
- No Bake Horse Cookies
- Sugar Cookie Dough- The Best Sugar Cookie Cutouts Recipe!
- Single Serving Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
If you are looking for even more dessert recipes, snag a copy of my Easy Dessert Recipes Mini-Cookbook. Available here for only $0.99, these easy dessert recipes are ready with less than 30 minutes hands-on time and are sure to please all your family friends. From no-bake to make-ahead, you are sure to find something you love!
Stained Glass Strawberry Jam Cookie Sandwiches
- 1 1/3 cup butter softened
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 cups flour plus more for rolling
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup strawberry jam
- 2 heart shaped cookie cutters one larger, one smaller
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment or a large mixing bowl with an electric hand mixer, cream together butter and sugar. Beat until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, milk and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, stir together flour and baking powder. Add half to wet mixture, blend well and then add the other half.
- Cover and refrigerate dough for at least 1 hour, but no longer than 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Turn dough out onto a floured surface. Roll to 1/4 inch thick. Cut out two large hearts. In the center of one large heart, cut out a smaller heart. Transfer one whole large heart and large heart with center removed to a parchment lined baking sheet. Continue until no dough is left. I used a 4 and 3 inch cookie cutter.
- Bake each batch for 7-11 minutes (time will vary greatly depending on how large your cookies are. Allow to cool for 10 minutes on the baking sheet, then remove to a cooling rack and allow to cool fully.
- After cookies have cooled, spread strawberry jam on the large, whole heart.
- Top with a cut-out cookie. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.