This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Pillsbury™. The opinions and text are all mine.
Our house is like grand central station. While some might not like the constant rotation of friendly faces, we love it.
What is better than a Honey Bun Cake? A CHERRY Honey Bun Cake! Yellow cake mix laced with cinnamon, brown sugar and cherry pie filling, drizzled with almond glaze.
This means I also need to be prepared by having a few staples on hand. One of those staples is Pillsbury™ Moist Supreme Yellow Premium Cake Mix from my local Kroger.
Of course you can follow the directions and make a delightful cake, but you can also use cake mix to make cookies, dessert dip, pancakes, swirled brownies and more, like my Cherry Honey Bun Cake!
Oh, honey buns. Delicious coffee cake topped with sweet honey laced icing. Pure bliss. Delightful memories from my childhood.
Did you also know that a box of Pillsbury Yellow Cake mix can make you a giant honey bun? Yes, you heard me correctly. You can make yourself a delicious honey cake!
And while the original is a tender, rich, yellow crumb with a ribbon of cinnamon and brown sugar deliciousness, my adaptation brings a new element: cherries! Why? My daughter loves cherries!
One can of cherry pie filling and vanilla extract swapped with almond extract takes your honey bun cake to the next level.
The top layer will be the decadent yellow cake you know and love. Mixed with sour cream, eggs and vegetable oil, this will be the moistest cake you’ve ever tasted.
A ripple of brown sugar and cinnamon, just like the original, is joined by lush cherry pie filling.
The bottom layer stays a little gooey. When you take your slice out of the pan, the cherry center will collapse, leaving a brilliant red cherry pool on your plate.
And the glaze, OH THE GLAZE! Pour it on hot and let it harden and crack.
Cherry Honey Bun Cake can be served for breakfast, brunch, tea time, with coffee, or as dessert, making it the most versatile recipe with cake mix ever! Your family (and your impromptu guests) and will rave and ask you to make it every time they visit.
These are the types of memories I want to create with our daughter.
Add a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream, fresh whipped cream or even a dusting of powdered sugar for an extra special slice of Cherry Honey Bun Cake!
If you liked this recipe, you might like these other cake recipes using boxed cake mix:
If you are looking for even more dessert recipes, snag a copy of my Easy Dessert Recipes Mini-Cookbook. Available here for only $0.99, these easy dessert recipes are ready with less than 30 minutes hands-on time and are sure to please all your family friends. From no-bake to make-ahead, you are sure to find something you love!
Cherry Honey Bun Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine Pillsbury Yellow Cake Mix with vegetable oil, eggs and sour cream. Stir until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Spread half of the mixture into prepared 9x13 baking dish.
- Evenly sprinkle brown sugar mixture over batter. Top with cherry pie filling, spreading all the way to the edges.
- Spread remaining batter over cherry pie filling.
- Using a toothpick or butter knife, swirl around to mix it all in good.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes. Top might start to brown, loosely over with aluminum foil.
- Meanwhile, whisk together powdered sugar, almond extract and milk.
- Pour icing over cake as soon as it comes out of the oven.
- Set aside for 30 minutes, or until icing starts to set. You can refrigerate to speed up the process.
- Slice and serve!
- If you've tried this recipe, please come back and leave us a comment!
Check out even more delicious and easy summer baking ideas from Pillsbury on Pillsbury™ Moist Supreme Yellow Premium Cake Mix.