I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again: I am a horrible cake and cupcake decorator. Like really bad. It looks so easy in those viral Facebook videos.
Rainbow Cupcakes are super easy and cute. The perfect cupcake for St. Patrick’s Day, children’s birthday parties or any random day of the week!
I don’t have a steady hand and it typically looks like a 2 year old trying to make a unicorn… even though it was supposed to be Barbie. Instead of staying out of the cupcake game, I come up with clever ways to embellish and decorate to cover up my lack of decorating ability. Rainbow cupcakes are a great example of this!
Start with your favorite cupcakes. Chocolate, vanilla, Oreo, whatever. Add cloudy blue buttercream frosting and a few key elements.
Rainbow fruit leather comes in several varieties, usually sour or sweet. Look for rainbow candy belts. You’ll only need one package to snip into your perfect little rainbows.
But before you even affix your perfect little rainbows, place a couple dabs of white buttercream to hold them in place. Golden sugar pearls add your “pot of gold” and shimmery cake sparkles make your clouds float.
Simple and perfect! My grocer even offers pre baked cupcakes just waiting to be decorated. Just one more way to save some time and cut corners.
If you like my Rainbow Cupcakes, then you’ll also love these pretty little gems!
- Iced Tea Cupcakes
- Easy Spring Flower Cupcakes
- Pink Lemonade Cupcakes
- Easy Star Wars Cupcakes
- Peppermint Mocha Cupcakes
- 24 cupcakes baked and undecorated
- 2 cups Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
- Blue food Coloring
- 2 tablespoons Gold sugar pearls
- 1 package Rainbow Candy Belts
- 2 tablespoons Cake sparkles
- Reserve 2 tablespoons vanilla buttercream frosting, mix the rest with blue food coloring achieving the perfect cloudy blue. Frost each cupcake.
- Spoon remaining buttercream into a piping bag or a sandwich bag, snip the end. Pipe two balls on each side to secure the rainbows.
- Cut rainbow candy belts into 1 1/2 inch pieces, secure them between the "clouds".
- Using tweezers, place gold sugar pearls into the clouds.
- Sprinkle cake sprinkles over "blue sky" and serve.
If you've tried this recipe, come back and let us know how it was!